Help! my car sounds like death!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! my car sounds like death!!!

Does anybody know a good mechanic in Brooklyn? Maybe the surrounding boroughs?

So yesterday my car started been making a terrible noise. I was driving home(Ocean pkwy for any locals) and I felt a small vibration in the shifter accompanied by a slightly metallic vibrating noise. If you can picture it, it sounded like the noise a long metal rod might make when spinning in a crappy bearing. It wasn't very loud, or a very big vibration, but I'm pretty sensitive to these things. It was quiet enough that a passenger probably wouldn't have noticed.

Anyway, I drove straight home and turned the car off. When I started the car this morning, and when I got home from work, the noise was still present. So, I'm terrified of driving it to the mechanic that I use in Pelham. I need a local shop who knows what they're doing.

Rod knock???

'89 325i - Totaled... good bye my love...
    '87 327i budget stroker - SOLD!!!
    '92 240sx - ca18det powered drift toy - SOLD!!!
    '89 325i - coupe - NEW daily
    '96 Audi A6 Quattro- Grocery getter/baby hauler
    '99 Busa - weekend wheelie monster

Comment

I don't think knock. It was less rattle, more metal rubbing, scraping.

Comment

Originally posted by structured View Post
        does anybody know a good mechanic in brooklyn? Maybe the surrounding boroughs?

So yesterday my car started been making a terrible noise. I was driving home(ocean pkwy for any locals) and i felt a small vibration in the shifter accompanied by a slightly metallic vibrating noise. If you can picture it, it sounded like the noise a long metal rod might make when spinning in a crappy bearing. it wasn't very loud, or a very big vibration, but i'm pretty sensitive to these things. It was quiet enough that a passenger probably wouldn't have noticed.

Anyway, i drove straight home and turned the car off. When i started the car this morning, and when i got home from work, the noise was still present. So, i'm terrified of driving it to the mechanic that i use in pelham. I need a local shop who knows what they're doing.
        csb?
        Byron
        Leichtbau

Comment

may have been a bad description... focus on metal rubbing/vibrating noise, with a little bad bearing thrown in.

Comment

Car still shifts fine? Ebrake down all the way? Try to find the general area that the noise is coming from.
            Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

shifts fine. makes noise while stationary. has to be from engine or other moving parts in engine bay.

Comment

Working...
              X