My first rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first rebuild

Thinking about getting an M20B27 to put on a stand and rebuild then swap into my car but not to sure where to start. I am in Centrial IL and there is ZERO Pick and Pulls that I know of that would have what I am looking for

I am talking about a complete tear down and never gone this far into the engine bay. SOOO I am looking for some "constructive" feedback on a good place to get started.

Also any one have input on what parts of the car you SHOULD NOT powder coat.

I.E. Calipers, suspension parts, steering rack...

I know this may not be the best area to post but I kind of want options that are within the Midwest.

BeFunk, are you really in Bloomington? I'd love to help ya - I'm in Decatur! I rebuilt mine in 2007. I should have a thread somewhere...
    - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by BeFunk View Post

Also any one have input on what parts of the car you SHOULD NOT powder coat.

I.E. Calipers, suspension parts, steering rack...
      Please answer! Anyone...

Comment

Be Funk

M20b27s are a dime a dozen. I can probably find you a shipping company that will deliver one for $200 or under. If you are wanting to rebuild one, make sure the one you get has decent cylinder walls, and have the head pressure checked. You'll ideally be replacing the main bearings, main bolts, rod bearings, rod bolts, all gaskets, possibly rocker arms and definitely piston rings.

As far as powder coating...I have seen calipers powder coated, as well as suspension springs, but I'd recommend just painting those. You can powder coat all the engine timing covers, the intake manifold, the valve cover, differential cover, etc. Plenty of parts, really... I'd just paint your rack with alumiblast...
        Originally posted by LJ851
        kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
        ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
        #teamross
        Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Hey, I never told you - but I have the following sitting here at home:
          - M20B27 block
          - SuperEta head & valve cover - which I was going to use for a rebuild at some point
          - I bottom end (pistons, rods and crank)
          - Eta intake manifold
          - Bunch of other misc parts.

Let me know if you're wanting anything.
          - Sean Hayes

Comment

If there is a community college near you with an automotive program, see if they have an engine class you can take. The class I took you could rebuilt an engine of your own, all with the advice and help of the instructor. Plus you'll get access to a lot of tools and equipment that you wouldn't get to use at home, or would have to pay a shop to use or do for you.

My main advice for rebuilding an engine for the first time is ORGANIZATION. Label EVERYTHING from electrical connections to bolts and nuts. Have some organizational trays/drawers/baggies to store every last bolt and nut in, and document everything possible.

Comment

Originally posted by brianf408 View Post
              If there is a community college near you with an automotive program, see if they have an engine class you can take. The class I took you could rebuilt an engine of your own, all with the advice and help of the instructor. Plus you'll get access to a lot of tools and equipment that you wouldn't get to use at home, or would have to pay a shop to use or do for you.

My main advice for rebuilding an engine for the first time is ORGANIZATION. Label EVERYTHING from electrical connections to bolts and nuts. Have some organizational trays/drawers/baggies to store every last bolt and nut in, and document everything possible.
              Darn good advice here!
              Originally posted by LJ851
              kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
              ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
              #teamross
              Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Working...
              X