Dumb Question of the week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb Question of the week

Maybe we can make this a regular feature so I will go first.

The centercaps' roundels on my '91 convertible are in poor shape so I went to a dealer parts counter who showed me that a parts view that showed either a sticker or a cap that fits into the centercap but neither is available from BMW.

Dumb question #1 - do I simply (carefully) just stick a screwdriver under my existing cap to pull it off the centercap and buy a complete cap/sticker

Dumb question #2 - do I just stick a screwdriver to remove the sticker and buy a new sticker ?

Anyone have 4 of either of the above that they'd want to sell me ?

Thanks and Happy Friday...
    1989 325iX Zinnoberrot/Black 65k miles

I'm assuming you're talking basketweaves. I have always purchased the roundel stickers as long as your center caps are not broken. In the inside if the center cap if I remember correctly are three tabs that hold the roundel cap to the center cap, a small flat screwdriver will work fine to lift the tab and release the roundel cap, lift one tab and it should pop out, push from the inside out, you might have to lift a second tab if it feels like it won't release. Next you can clean the surface were the roundel sticker will adhere. Put the roundel cap back in the center cap, this will help center the roundel sticker when you aply the new roundel sticker.
    I'm surprised the stickers are not available, try BAVAUTO, BMP design or Bluntech. BAVAUTO lists BMW parts by the BMW part number, I have found the part number on the internet then supplied the part number to the BMW parts counterman and then they'll say it's available. I did this for a "is" spoiler they said was NLA and when I supplied the part number they were able to order it! I think they changed some part numbers.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by CCCXXVis; 05-30-2014, 06:34 PM.

Comment

:up:

Yes, my wheels are basketweaves and assuming I can remove the caps without breaking the tabs, I'll get the stickers.

Thanks - exactly what I needed to know.

Comment

Cool! Glad to help, while you're in there you can get some wheel paint and freshen up the hubcaps!

Comment

Maybe I need to rename this thread "Wheel Roundels for Dummies"

After taking a closer look at the center caps, I simply pushed on the back the center roundel and it popped out the front. After using some aircraft stripper, I was able to remove the old paint and decal.
          Now all I need is 4 stickers PN 36 13 6 758 569.

Comment

Working...
          X