This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
    If I had even the SLIGHTEST clue about what to look for in those cars I would be serious about this.

Roland, please keep me updated and let me know what the owner says.
    They are no different to check out than a regular e30 aside from an expensive ass engine. They have the same issues as all other e30s. If the engine checks out and its rust free, thats a sweet price. Don't expect to be impressed by the power, its not much faster than your M20. Different, fun, and awesome, but not terribly "fast".

Comment

So for the engine there is no "red flags"? For example the M20's need timing belts. I know S14's (or think at least) use chains so that doesn't apply of course. Is high mileage a problem with these cars in terms of valves, pistons, etc? Do you just need to keep up on the cooling system and oil and call it good? I am most worried about the engine breaking.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Timing chains guides wear out causing the engine to sound like a diesel. A lot of people replace the tensioner with an S50 unit and it makes the engine quieter, but they do wear out and its expensive to replace the guides and chain. I've seen engines go 200K miles, others just over 100k with lots of track use. Obviously it depends on maintenance and how its been driven. They are not smooth engines, so don't expect it to idle like an M20 or M50. If I were looking at it, I'd see if he's got service history on the engine, and do a compression test. Plugs, wires, ect are not that expensive, but rebuilding a head isn't cheap, bottom end is even more $.

I'm in boulder tomorrow evening and thursday evening if your serious and want someone to look with you. Or you can swing by here and I'll fire mine up to show you what they should sound/drive like.

Comment

I talked to the guy, he has no receipts, he said he had bad relations with the original owners he bought it from, and never got receipts from them. He wants to sell the car solely because he is tired of dealing w/ PO, so i dunno....

and besides,

I want this car!!!

;)

Comment

Did he say what it needed? His add said it needs some attention, etc.

Comment

On another note
              http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2098530712.html

Comment

Did he say what it needed? His add said it needs some attention, etc.
                just a bit of a rough interior, we didn't actually talk about the mechanical aspects, except that it needs tires and an alignment.

Yep, emailed that guy when the ad first went up...

Comment

Interestting!!!

Sam... Don't do it!!!!! I need that engine:D
                  sigpic
                  HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
                  " enjoy the show "

Comment

E30 M3 is tempting. Too bad I have other priorities.

Comment

I wonder where my watch is.

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
                      Originally posted by DTM190
                      "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

FOUND IT!

No sleep again.... Slammed a beer while brewing coffee... I'm a good person... I swear.

"fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

that's good for your heart... :roll:

Comment

Don't start with me Roland lol, I have 3 finals on Thursday and one due any time from Yesterday to Sunday.

Comment

I have a final on freaking Saturday. How unorthodox is that??

Adam, why do you need an M42?

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                                I have a final on freaking Saturday. How unorthodox is that??

Adam, why do you need an M42?
                                Welcome to CU, Sam, we have had finals on Saturday forever.
                                89 325i (Sold)
                                95 M3 (Track Car in Progress)
                                2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

Working...
                                X