This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
    I'd buy it because it's an e30 touring legally registered in CO. Swapping in a better gas motor wouldn't be too terribly difficult, you'd just have to swap more fuel-related parts than a gas touring.
    It's a gray market car, just like the rest of them. Legally registering a touring is the last of my concerns, and the easiest thing to do overall.

You already hate the M20, why wouldn't you swap a better motor in place of the combination of M20 + 30 year old diesel tech? If you can find a better tD motor in the US, go for it, but I'd just S50 it and be done with it.
    I can get a 118d motor to my porch for under $4500, I'd do that before I'd S50 it. Swapping a diesel to a gas is not worth the trouble. It would be cheaper to buy a gas one from Canada.

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
    although the shop did say the car has been getting "fuel injection work", so maybe it is getting converted to gas right now.
    I heard fuel system work, and they were having trouble finding parts for it.

The owner is one of those bio-diesel nutjobs, so I highly doubt he'd convert it to gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
      It's a gray market car, just like the rest of them. Legally registering a touring is the last of my concerns, and the easiest thing to do overall.

I can get a 118d motor to my porch for under $4500, I'd do that before I'd S50 it. Swapping a diesel to a gas is not worth the trouble. It would be cheaper to buy a gas one from Canada.

I heard fuel system work, and they were having trouble finding parts for it.

The owner is one of those bio-diesel nutjobs, so I highly doubt he'd convert it to gas.
      gotcha. He should just give up on finding parts.

Didn't david look into importing from canada and it is thousands of dollars? If it already had a colorado title you just treat it like a normal car and don't have to deal with the DOT. Or am I wrong?

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Tell me about it... ;)

Didn't david look into importing from canada and it is thousands of dollars? If it already had a colorado title you just treat it like a normal car and don't have to deal with the DOT. Or am I wrong?
        Importing from Canada is a walk in teh Sunday park, with a small stop at BMW NA for a letter and some ice cream. It's really that easy. The only costs involved are purchase price, airline ticket, registration, and insurance.

Comment

If you don't live in Canada and are moving, it's expensive.

If it has a CO title, all is good to go.
          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
          95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Importing from Canada is a walk in teh Sunday park, with a small stop at BMW NA for a letter and some ice cream. It's really that easy. The only costs involved are purchase price, airline ticket, registration, and insurance.
            False, and here's why: the E30 touring was never sold by BMW Canada, so they cannot/aren't supposed to write a letter to allow importation to the US since it's a Canadian grey market car. If it was legally sold in Canada originally, like other 324tds, then yes that's the easy cheap simple route (94 E36 M3s are going to be legal pretty damn soon because of that). But since the E30 tourings were all grey market imports to Canada, they can't write a letter saying "oh yea, this car is like this other model we sell in both countries, and passes safety/emissions regs in both countries, so let it be imported"

Some people find a way, but to do it legally is megabucks (I spent too many hours figuring it out)
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
              False, and here's why: the E30 touring was never sold by BMW Canada, so they cannot/aren't supposed to write a letter to allow importation to the US since it's a Canadian grey market car.

Some people find a way, but to do it legally is megabucks (I spent too many hours figuring it out)
              What they aren't *supposed* to do and what they actually do are two different things. ;)

Next year it will be a moot point anyway as you won't need a letter for the 1987 tourings.

Comment

I would buy the shell from Levent and get to work. No need to strip the old stuff out, less time and no junk. No matter how you work it no touring is going to done cheaply. There do seem to be quite a few of them in Canada. I was walking (well running) to the underground walk way in Winnipeg last week and spotted what looked like an E30 touring driving in opposite direction. It was -30C out so my eyes were glazed over with frost, could have been a 5 series, but it sure looked like an E30.
                JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

What they aren't *supposed* to do and what they actually do are two different things. ;)

Next year it will be a moot point anyway as you won't need a letter for the 1987 tourings.
                  Very true on both points. You will have to find someone who's not knowledgeable about the process at the corporate level to write the letter.
                  2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                  98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

On a side note. Got my RGR's mounted. I was rushing before work on Sunday and ran out of time. Without spacers the fronts don't rub unless I go full lock, then they kiss the sway bar. I tried Tim's 20mm spacers with studs and had gobs of clearance, but they were about 5mm too wide. 10mm will be perfect. Going to order H&R's when I order my springs.

Until then I'm going to rollin OG like I'm on 20's! Sucka free motha fucka!!

My front wheel gap is def not stock. I compared it to two E30's. I'm about 1.5" higher!

All I need is FWD conversion and some milk crates (starts at 3:00)!

JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Another change of subject. Do you guys run 20w50 oil in the M20 in CO? I put 10w40 in for the winter, but with summer coming I'm thinking 20w50 over 15w40.
                      Last edited by Cloudbase; 03-02-2011, 01:07 PM.
                      JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

I run 10w40 in winter, 20w50 in summer.

The wheels look amazing! You make fast progress, it makes me jealous! Get 15mm hubcentric spacers.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Alex, car looks amazing!

I run 10w40 in winter, 20w50 in summer.
                          This. I ran 20w50 all year long, and that was a bad idea. 10w40 would be great for winter. 20w50 summer was awesome though, really cut down my car's oil consumption....till the temperatures dropped, and then herrrrooo oil burn.
                          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Other than the SUV ride height, your car is sick, Alex!

I have much ride height issues to solve after head gasket etc...

You def OG Brah!!

Looking for a clean e30 shell for a project.

Comment

My e30 rides about as high as that if not higher.
                              89 325i (Sold)
                              95 M3 (Track Car in Progress)
                              2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

Alex, looks like your front wheels sit pretty far foreword in your wheel well, i can't remember, you have M3 offset CABs, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X