This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
    1. Sell iX to silly colorado hipsters that can't drive in the winter.
    2. Buy E36 325/328 and have more fun, more comfort, and an uglier car
    3. Graduate school before you do any of that.
    Don't make my mistake. Having to work during college suuuuuuuuucks.

Then again.....
    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I guess before I get real serious about looking for a car, what does an E36 M3 go for? It can be earlier years and in a little rougher condition. Obviously a manual. I don't care if it needs a little maintenance, but it needs to be able to drive 900 miles without dropping a ton of money for parts.

I can't sell my car, I am attached to it. My dad tells me all the time how much he wished he hadn't sold his first car.

Oh, and if I work it will be very little.

Comment

I've always thrown out 8k for a decent one.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
          I guess before I get real serious about looking for a car, what does an E36 M3 go for? It can be earlier years and in a little rougher condition. Obviously a manual. I don't care if it needs a little maintenance, but it needs to be able to drive 900 miles without dropping a ton of money for parts.
          They're all over the map. $6-8k will get you a decent one (I paid $8500 a couple years ago), $8-10k will get you one that shouldn't need much.

No matter what you do, get the best condition car you can. If that's a 95, great. If that's a 99, great.
          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I can't sell my car, I am attached to it. My dad tells me all the time how much he wished he hadn't sold his first car.

Oh, and if I work it will be very little.
            This is why I still have my Subaru. My first car, and I tried to sell it once. Couldn't go through with it.

Don't work if you can avoid it. I've worked part time to full time during school....trying to get good grades for grad school apps AND do FSAE (40hr/wk minimum) AND do my own car hobby meant I slept 3-4hrs on average/night. Paid off in a BIG way, but still, sucked.
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Hmm, that is a little more than I thought, but I am just thinking at this point. I don't honestly care if it is a little beat, it just needs a good foundation. Fenders, hood, doors, paint, no problem really. If I work it will be very little. I am willing to work that extra bit if it means I get to have a little more fun occasionally.

My car will never leave me permanently. I would trust my brother with it, but I would never sell it.

Comment

Working during school is awful. The only time I liked it was my very last semester when I was working my current job part time and taking the easiest semester ever.

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
                  Working during school is awful. The only time I liked it was my very last semester when I was working my current job part time and taking the easiest semester ever.
                  sustainable energy ftmfw!

My last semsester was a joke. Senior D/lab, then nutrition, history of jazz, and ET life.
                  2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                  98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

^Sounds fun. I think I am in second level English or whatever, Calc, Some ME class and history.

Comment

Hmm, that is a little more than I thought, but I am just thinking at this point. I don't honestly care if it is a little beat, it just needs a good foundation. Fenders, hood, doors, paint, no problem really. If I work it will be very little. I am willing to work that extra bit if it means I get to have a little more fun occasionally.

My car will never leave me permanently. I would trust my brother with it, but I would never sell it.
                      I dunno. There comes a point when you need to balance loans vs potential income from part time work. That and the car addiction is why I worked. Protip: take CAD your first semester and then find an engineering intern position that needs CAD skills locally. You make really good money doing it, easy/fun work for a time, and it's low stress.

I just didn't want to need many loans, so I worked my ass off.
                      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                        I just didn't want to need many loans, so I worked my ass off.
                        Same here. Until I came to CU and had to pay a surprised out of state tuition with no federal aid/loans/grants and stay an extra year. Now my loans equal a Porsche payment....fun times...fun times....

Comment

That is part of the reason I am going to NMSU. It is pretty cheap. I didn't get a chance to sign up for that class. They have weird scheduling and class choices, I will try next semester though. If I work it wont be any kinda 20hrs or whatnot. It will be very little. I think I have school from 830 to around 1130 m-f.

What does a regular E36 go for in decent condition with some coilovers maybe?
                          Last edited by 325ix; 07-12-2011, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I don't think they offered a CAD class of any sort to first semester freshmen or else I would have taken it given my very basic background in it.

If anything I think you should go with an E36 instead of an E34. I think you'd be kicking yourself later on for getting an E34...but then again, I've never driven one.

Or is this gonna end up like the jeep? ;)

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                              I don't think they offered a CAD class of any sort to first semester freshmen or else I would have taken it given my very basic background in it.

If anything I think you should go with an E36 instead of an E34. I think you'd be kicking yourself later on for getting an E34...but then again, I've never driven one.

Or is this gonna end up like the jeep? ;)
                              I'm actually kinda serious. I don't really want to put my money into a car that isn't really going to be worth it. If I get an E34 at this point it will be an M5.

There first semester class selection sucks.

Comment

What does a regular E36 go for in decent condition with some coilovers maybe?
                                I would highly recommend not getting a modded E36 non-M to start. Get a bone stock with good records, you should be able to get one for $2-4k depending on your budget, condition, miles, etc. The 92 325is has a hotter cammed motor and rips to redline, but the 93+ has vanos, more aftermarket support, more torque and midrange (and fuel econ), but less top end zing. A 328i/is will be $4-7k depending on condition, much more torque, better motor, better body panels....but pricier.

Here is what I would buy:

$3k ish E36 non-M.
                                $2500 on TCKline Double Adjustable coilovers with Vorshlag camber plates
                                $500 on brake pads/rotors, ss lines, rebuilt calipers, and good fluid
                                $1500 on Apex ARC8 17x9 with 255/40/17 Hankook RS3

and drive the utter piss out of it, adding stuff as budget and needs grow.
                                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Working...
                                X