This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
    Roland, on the Doubles vs Singles-- I'd go with doubles since adjusting compression is really nice to have. Not necessary, no....but I know a few folks who wish they went with the doubles the first time around.
    OTOH - singles are a great entry level coil-over, much cheaper, hold their value much better, easier to set up as a novice, and won't hold him back until much much later down the road. Especially as a broke college kid, it's the better choice by far.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
      OTOH - singles are a great entry level coil-over, much cheaper, hold their value much better, easier to set up as a novice, and won't hold him back until much much later down the road. Especially as a broke college kid, it's the better choice by far.
      This is all true. Doubles vs singles really is a function of budget and knowledge when the time comes....I wouldn't get singles for a track car at this point, but I've got the knowledge to set doubles up. If I were starting, I probably would.
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

David, we'll chat later tonight I'm sure

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
        Originally posted by DTM190
        "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

This is moving almost as fast as a chat room it seems.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
            David, we'll chat later tonight I'm sure
            Aim, fool, nao.

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
            This is moving almost as fast as a chat room it seems.
            'tis the gen chat thread. That and I'm sitting at the comp doing work, so r3v's a nice mental break now and then.
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
              I've got the knowledge to set doubles up.
              You and I both have the knowledge to be able to set them up from data possibly, but I guarantee that neither of us can feel the difference between two to three clicks of compression through our shorts and be able to tell which one we need to set it on (i.e. Mayfield status). The seat of the pants feel and knowledge is beyond us at this point, and way beyond 325iX.

Would I buy doubles again if I were in the market? yes. But that's only because if I ever return to being a serious HPDE/AutoX hero, I'm going full swing with it (event every weekend type thing).

I'm just trying to keep him from thinking he needs to buy something that he really won't need for a long while so that he can focus his money on stuff that matters (safety gear, mx, safety gear, tires, brakes, etc).

Comment

1. Sell iX to silly colorado hipsters that can't drive in the winter.
                2. Buy E36 325/328 and have more fun, more comfort, and an uglier car
                3. Graduate school before you do any of that.
                this

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
                  You and I both have the knowledge to be able to set them up from data possibly, but I guarantee that neither of us can feel the difference between two to three clicks of compression through our shorts and be able to tell which one we need to set it on (i.e. Mayfield status). The seat of the pants feel and knowledge is beyond us at this point, and way beyond 325iX.

Would I buy doubles again if I were in the market? yes. But that's only because if I ever return to being a serious HPDE/AutoX hero, I'm going full swing with it (event every weekend type thing).

I'm just trying to keep him from thinking he needs to buy something that he really won't need for a long while so that he can focus his money on stuff that matters (safety gear, mx, safety gear, tires, brakes, etc).
                  Not disputing any of that.
                  2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                  98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I'm on my phone, ill be on aim at 9... I'll also be too behind in the convo till then

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
                    Originally posted by DTM190
                    "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                      A manual swap in the college parking lot sounds like a surefire way to attract women.
                      Well, if they like cars, then yeah, but what are the chances?

Here is my plan:

-92 325is or later model with m52b28
                      -auto or manual, I can handle a swap
                      -four doors
                      -no sun roof
                      -cloth interior
                      -basic maintenance: brakes mostly, a street set-up and some track pads, I may do stainless lines for that and tranny while I'm in there, also metal t-stat housing, and water pump impeller, anything else to do?
                      -track it
                      -coilovers: Single adjustable, I know very little about set-up, Tcklines, are there any other brands to consider?

Tires will be next most likely.
                      Good plan?
                      Last edited by 325ix; 07-13-2011, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Don't only 328i's have the M52? Anyways.

- 328i 4 door
                        - just buy a manual
                        - good luck with cloth and no sunroof
                        - basic maintenance
                        - brakes/tires
                        - track
                        - coilovers/wheels

Comment

Don't only 328i's have the M52? Anyways.

- 328i 4 door
                          - just buy a manual
                          - good luck with cloth and no sunroof
                          - basic maintenance
                          - brakes/tires
                          - track
                          - coilovers/wheels
                          I think all 2.8l are m52s. I would like cloth and no sunroof, but it isn't gonna kill a deal. No sunroof is one that i really want though.

Comment

Opps, I didn't see the "OR" late model in your post. Morning FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post

Here is my plan:

-four doors
                              -no sun roof
                              -cloth interior
                              -basic maintenance: brakes mostly, a street set-up and some track pads, I may do stainless lines for that and tranny while I'm in there, also metal t-stat housing, and water pump impeller, anything else to do?
                              -track it
                              -coilovers: Single adjustable, I know very little about set-up, Tcklines, are there any other brands to consider?
                              AST, but they are more expensive.

stick with the plastic t-stat housing.

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post

Here is my plan:

-four doors
                                -no sun roof
                                -cloth interior
                                -track it

Tires will be next most likely.
                                Good plan?

Didn't read the entire conversation, but why would you swap in an M52B28? Also, manual swap is a pita, and it is easy enough to find manual E36s that it doesn't justify getting an auto and doing the swap, unless the auto is ridiculously cheap and in amazing condition.

No sun roof will be hard to find.

Also, cloth interior may be on the hard side to find, but if you get leather, cloth seats are an easy swap out.

EDIT: Roland and Brad beat me to it. Also misread the "or".

Comment

Working...
                                X