This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flying_violin View Post
    Anyone know if a car that came with a small case differential will take a medium case differential? If so, I would be interested in your diff, sam.
    Yes, you switch the output flanges is all I believe.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
      That's fine, as apparently the bearings are shot so the thing will need to come apart anyway.

Alpine II 318is

Comment

There is a post/thread somewhere on here that shows them side by side and what to do.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
          I have a 4.10 LSD from an M3, needs new bearings though. I plan on rebuilding it. It was Ben's.

So you can buy it if you wanna throw some bearings in it. $100.
          Are you going to be at wings tomorrow? I'm in Parker, but over the weekend I'll be in Longmont. Let me know what works.

Alpine II 318is

Comment

Anyone know if a car that came with a small case differential will take a medium case differential? If so, I would be interested in your diff, sam.
            Yes it will. My 1991 318is came w/ a small case 4.10 open, and a medium case bolts right in. you MAY have to loosen that nut on the telescoping part of the driveshaft near the CSB to allow the shaft to move forward slightly to accept the med case diff, but don't quote me on that.

Now as far as med case LSD fitment on an early 318i, I have no experience. But from your sig it looks like you have a late model, so you are OK.

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
            nope, i did not have to switch any flanges.

Are you going to be at wings tomorrow? I'm in Parker, but over the weekend I'll be in Longmont. Let me know what works.
            yes i will be there, but alas, i should have checked this thread last night, i did not bring my diff.

Comment

flying violin: you will need numbers 2, 3, 5, 6, and 8 in the pic below i believe. 7 and 9 I am not sure about.

You will also need the bearings and seals in this image too.

so here is what I know about the diff. It works great, it just howls extremely loudly. That of course is in my 318is with no interior, ski hole removed, and full poly bushings. My guess is bearings, I have heard a similar account on the forums where someone simply replaced the outdrive flange bearings and it went silent. I dunno.

Also, you will need to set the gearing backlash when you re-assemble. I have a friend who is an auto mechanic and has access to a huuuge database of repair guides, so to speak, so I have a PDF of a complete diff overhaul on the 4.10 LSD. email me and I can send it to you when I get home. (iamthenomad at gmail)

Comment

Today I picked up a Sterbo cat back exhaust for the M5 from a guy in Denver!

Now all I need is the bundle of snakes OE euro M5 headers.

and a millar WAR MAF conversion.

And S38B36 cams.

and fit my S38B38 airbox.

and...
                My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

You still have the S38B38 carbon airbox?
                  2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                  95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                  98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

No, Traded it for a set of BBS RS's a few years back. I still have the stock airbox and intake tube though.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                      yes i will be there, but alas, i should have checked this thread last night, i did not bring my diff.
                      Yeah, I have a 1991. No worries about tonight. I'll pm you to figure something out.

Alpine II 318is

Comment

Yes it will.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                          Today I picked up a Sterbo cat back exhaust for the M5 from a guy in Denver!

Now all I need is the bundle of snakes OE euro M5 headers.

and a millar WAR MAF conversion.

And S38B36 cams.

and fit my S38B38 airbox.

and...
                          Depending on what happens with mine, I might haz cams for joo. :(

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
                            Depending on what happens with mine, I might haz cams for joo. :(
                            You thinking of parting out your car? I think your headers are the same as the euro e28 M5 headers...

oh hell, we should just shove that whole motor in the E28!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                              You thinking of parting out your car? I think your headers are the same as the euro e28 M5 headers...

oh hell, we should just shove that whole motor in the E28!
                              I don't think you've heard...Roland accidentally the s38.
                              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

i didn't hear.

Comment

Working...
                                X