Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I will be ordering the remainder of my parts tomorrow. I can't wait to get my car all back together.

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
      Well, I will be ordering the remainder of my parts tomorrow. I can't wait to get my car all back together.
      When do you expect to start on that?

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Ugh... I have forgotten more than I want to admit; who wants to help with Fluid Dynamics?

I need to determine flow rate of water coming out of a pressurized pipe (3/4" ID).
        Water pressure is 40psi, hole orifice size is 0.25" diameter, and there are fifteen (holes) all on the same horizontal plane.

I have determined the area:
        A = pi * r^2
        A = pi * (.125")^2
        A = 0.049087 in^2
        A = 0.00034088 ft^2

I have the head pressure:
        H = 2.31 * Line Pressure * Specific Gravity
        H = 2.31 * P * Sg
        H = 2.31 * 40psi * 1.00 (Sg of Water)
        H = 92.4 feet

I have the Orifice Geometry:
        K = 0.62 (provided by fluids literature)

Here's the issues I'm running into; there are a few ways to determine flow per orifice:
        - find the orifice velocity by take the square root of: 2 * Gravity (32 ft/sec^2) * Head Pressure
        - then determine flow rate by multiplying: area of one orifice * orifice velocity * K
        - then converting the flow rate in ft^3 / sec to gal/min

OR

- flow rate (gal/min) = 25 * area of orifice * K * (head)^0.5

Problem is, I'm seeing numbers that are simply unrealistic with my physical experiment.
        Anyone wanting to shed some help during the no-homework college break?

- Erik
        Pattern Draft Imaging.com - "...Where Engineering Discipline and Photography Merge as One..."

Comment

Does the cam need to come out to get an m20 head resurfaced?

Comment

"They" say by a certain age you fall into a certain pattern of statistics that include ownership of a typical four door sedan, like say a Ford Taurus. Ford had a surefire way to prove "them" wrong—the 1990 Ford Taurus SHO.

One of the best v6s of all time.
            Metal Mover @ www.milehighcarhelper.com

Comment

Originally posted by bluefox280 View Post
              Ugh... I have forgotten more than I want to admit; who wants to help with Fluid Dynamics?
              Is this a theoretical problem, or a real-world setup that needs to actually work?

Alpine II 318is

Comment

Originally posted by kablammo View Post
                Surrounded by some of the worst parts and electronics imaginable.

<-- Owned 3 of those cars.

Those motors were cool for their time. They aren't very special anymore, at least in terms of powerband/specific output.
                Chris
                97 M3
                01 325
                Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by flying_violin View Post
                  Is this a theoretical problem, or a real-world setup that needs to actually work?
                  Real-world. My physical experiment provides much more drastic and different results then the empirical formulas provide me.
                  I'm trying to mathematically show a client why a certain flow rate works for their application, and showing them a movie of proof just doesn't cut it.

- Erik
                  Pattern Draft Imaging.com - "...Where Engineering Discipline and Photography Merge as One..."

Comment

Erik - For screens & perforated orifices, you've got to consider the open-area (percent open area) - hole sizes area versus full orifice size, and also blockage factors (hole size, number of holes). Don't recall the CFD details offhand - it's been a while - but I think that might be what you're missing considering...
                    Tom

v i s i o n a u t i k s

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                      Does the cam need to come out to get an m20 head resurfaced?
                      typically, yes.

Comment

I'd be surprised if you didn't need to take out the cams, rockers, and rocker support rods.
                        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Thank sweet baby jesus for my skid plate...
                          Last edited by lambo; 12-20-2011, 07:45 AM.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by bluefox280 View Post
                            Real-world.
                            I'm having a hard time visualizing the problem. Do the 15 holes lie in series along the pipe, or does the 3/4" pipe expand out to a plate that has 15 holes drilled in it? Either way, you might also be encountering some head losses in the feeder pipe too, depending on how long it is and what the flow rate is.

Alpine II 318is

Comment

Originally posted by flying_violin View Post
                              Do the 15 holes lie in series along the pipe...
                              Correct; its this. The 0.25" holes are spaced every two inches over a 30" span on the 3/4" ID feeder pipe.

- Erik

Comment

Well, my car is officially completely torn to pieces. Hopefully I can have it back together for a Christmas eve drive to look at lights.

Comment

Working...
                                X