89 325i (Sold)
    95 M3 (Track Car in Progress)
    2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

Originally posted by clarkkey594 View Post
      Just get a beater subaru.....
      Winner winner chicken dinner.
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
        or if you just want the cheapest, lowest maintenance DD, just get a Honda.
        Yup!

I average 30mpg in my integra, around town. 37mpg on the highway. I've put 10k miles on it since august and have done nothing but fill it with fuel and 2 oil changes.

And it's better in every way than an E28. And faster than any stock E28 or E30 outside an M3/M5.

For RWD, inexpensive, reliable, the list is short:

Miata
        240SX (if you can find one not driftarded)
        E30 non-ix

Mustangs don't handle well, and take a $hitload of money to make even remotely decent.
        Last edited by fsmtnbiker; 03-20-2012, 08:57 PM.
        Chris
        97 M3
        01 325
        Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

Wow, I don't check this for a couple of days, and all of a sudden people are discussing whether to buy a Miata or a Volvo... Or maybe a Subaroo!

On a side note, finally got my euro smilies aimed correctly tonight, and now I can really see! Makes me wonder why sealed beams were offered in the US spec cars.

Alpine II 318is

Comment

yeah i do hear those integrals are pretty quick. They rev to 9k or something. Same size as an M42 but way more power. Can't argue with that.

Comment

Integra ftw.
              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Alex: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...an-bird-wings/

Soon you won't need a glider!
                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
                  And faster than any stock E28 or E30 outside an M3/M5.
                  no way my M5 is as fast as an integra (GSR type)!

Did you hear back from active about tuning my ECU?
                  My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by flying_violin View Post
                    Wow, I don't check this for a couple of days, and all of a sudden people are discussing whether to buy a Miata or a Volvo... Or maybe a Subaroo!
                    Welcome to R3v, where no one wants an E30! ;)

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                    no way my M5 is as fast as an integra (GSR type)!

Did you hear back from active about tuning my ECU?
                    Yeesh that's a scary thought. One of the finest examples of engineering of the automobile world is bested by a FWD car which you can upgrade at AutoZone.

EDIT: So after doing a little research, it seems the Type R Integra is the fastest one (of the 3rd gen anyway) and it does 0-60 in 6.9 sec, while your US E28 M5 does it in 6.5 sec, according to Wikipedia anyway. whew!
                    Last edited by iamsam; 03-21-2012, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Yeesh that's a scary thought. One of the finest examples of engineering of the automobile world is bested by a FWD car which you can upgrade at AutoZone.
                      Out of curiosity, how much do you know about the Integra?

You can 'upgrade' an M5 or an E30 at Autozone too, everything there is generic fitment anyway.
                      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                        Out of curiosity, how much do you know about the Integra?

You can 'upgrade' an M5 or an E30 at Autozone too, everything there is generic fitment anyway.

Well I know more now! (see my previous post)

and i was making a snide remark regarding the stereotypical types of "upgrades" that happen to many Hondas (giving them a bad name) that usually come from AutoZone.

Comment

The Mustang is more of a childhood car I have always wanted. I'm a huge muscle car fan.

Comment

EDIT: So after doing a little research, it seems the Type R Integra is the fastest one (of the 3rd gen anyway) and it does 0-60 in 6.9 sec, while your US E28 M5 does it in 6.5 sec, according to Wikipedia anyway. whew!
                            Well I know more now! (see my previous post)
                            Not so much. Magazines have the ITR pegged around 6sec 0-60. Combine good acceleration, incredible handling despite FWD, incredible fuel economy, and excellent safety ratings, and you have a car I'd wager is better engineered than anything the rest of us own. That, plus crazy power/liter, variable valve timing and lift profiles....Honda makes great cars.

Good engineering != fancy cool shit.
                            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                              The Mustang is more of a childhood car I have always wanted. I'm a huge muscle car fan.
                              But the 4th gen mustang is so ugly!!! Unless it is like the top of the line Cobra or something, then it gets a little better. My buddy had a cobra, it made 500 whp.

Did some more Wikipedia reading, looks like the GT from 99-04 makes 260 hp, and low 14 sec 1/4. Not sure how much they run price-wise, but if they are anything over $8k, I would humbly suggest a 4th gen LT1 corvette instead. They can come w/ a ZF 6-speed, FAR superior suspension (and not just because it is fully independent over Mustang's solid axle, but it is multi link suspension designed by Lotus), the car is lighter, made of fiberglass (no rust!) looks better, and has 300 hp rather than 260. Oh and near 50/50 weight balance. ALso, the LT1 sounds a heck of a lot better than Ford's 5.0.

Last edited by iamsam; 03-21-2012, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                                Not so much. Magazines have the ITR pegged around 6sec 0-60. Combine good acceleration, incredible handling despite FWD, incredible fuel economy, and excellent safety ratings, and you have a car I'd wager is better engineered than anything the rest of us own. That, plus crazy power/liter, variable valve timing and lift profiles....Honda makes great cars.

Good engineering != fancy cool shit.

Yeah i didn't go that far into my research. My level of caring gives out before then.

But to compare something more fairly (i.e. not the E28 M5 to the late 90s integra R), I'd say the E36 M3 (similar year) may have the Integra beat for performance.

Comment

Working...
                                X