This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
    But the 4th gen mustang is so ugly!!! Unless it is like the top of the line Cobra or something, then it gets a little better. My buddy had a cobra, it made 500 whp.

Did some more Wikipedia reading, looks like the GT from 99-04 makes 260 hp, and low 14 sec 1/4. Not sure how much they run price-wise, but if they are anything over $8k, I would humbly suggest a 4th gen LT1 corvette instead. They can come w/ a ZF 6-speed, FAR superior suspension (and not just because it is fully independent over Mustang's solid axle, but it is multi link suspension designed by Lotus), the car is lighter, made of fiberglass (no rust!) looks better, and has 300 hp rather than 260. Oh and near 50/50 weight balance. ALso, the LT1 sounds a heck of a lot better than Ford's 5.0.
    I will never own an Chevy product. I really don't like them.
    Just to be sure we are on the same page, there are two versions of the 4th gen Mustang. I want this one:

I read a little on the handling and a lot of people point towards the rear lower control arms having tons of deflection and the pan-hard bar not being able to control the axle adequately. I don't want this car for the handling. I

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
      I will never own an Chevy product. I really don't like them.
      too bad, it's a superior car. (the corvette)

Comment

My friend had one of those GT mustangs. Modded a bunch. It sounded like a norse god destroying a village whenever you hit the gas, but it was scary in the turns. Good thing in Iowa we didn't have any turns so it didn't really matter.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
          My friend had one of those GT mustangs. Modded a bunch. It sounded like a norse god destroying a village whenever you hit the gas, but it was scary in the turns. Good thing in Iowa we didn't have any turns so it didn't really matter.
          That's the way my aunt's was when I was a kid. Steeda, a company out of Florida has pretty good success racing them. They do need work on the suspension but, the parts are there and they are reasonably priced. The car has just been one I've wanted since I was little.

Oh, and I will never drive a mid-life crisis mobile.

Comment

I used to want a mustang when I was growing up. Then I finished growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
              Then I finished growing up.
              No you didn't.

That said, I am jealous of your car collection.

Comment

I used to want a mustang when I was growing up. Then I finished growing up.
                Wow, I wish I could be all grown up like you.

Comment

Originally posted by 325ix View Post
                  Wow, I wish I could be all grown up like you.
                  It's honestly not worth it, all your dreams get crushed. :(

Comment

David, I'm calling BS on that video. The lack of pitch and bank control, no kind of empenage for longitudinal stability, plus the CG variance of such a short longitudinal axis makes me highly skeptical.

But if it is legit, that is fucking awesome!

325ix, I would either get a RWD E30 or Miata. You dont need practicality if you live on campus it will have all the room you need. I DD'd an MG Midget for years before I got the M Coupe and it was great. Lightweight > power all day long IMO.

That's said a nice Miata will be more expensive than you think.
                    JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

You take pessimism to a whole new level. You're not exactly wrong...but...daaaaamn.

Originally posted by Cloudbase View Post
                      David, I'm calling BS on that video. The lack of pitch and bank control, no kind of empenage for longitudinal stability, plus the CG variance of such a short longitudinal axis makes me highly skeptical.

But if it is legit, that is fucking awesome!
                      Yea, I'm hoping it's legit!
                      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

$22,700 for the Abarth including the track day.

Not bad, Fiat, not bad at all.
                        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

you make me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudbase View Post
                            325ix, I would either get a RWD E30 or Miata. You dont need practicality if you live on campus it will have all the room you need. I DD'd an MG Midget for years before I got the M Coupe and it was great. Lightweight > power all day long IMO.

That's said a nice Miata will be more expensive than you think.
                            I am still looking at a Miata. I don't really want another e30. I want to change it up.

Comment

Miatas are a lot of fun, but popularity means high prices.
                              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                                But to compare something more fairly (i.e. not the E28 M5 to the late 90s integra R), I'd say the E36 M3 (similar year) may have the Integra beat for performance.
                                The E36 M3 better beat an integra, in the same year you could have bought 2 1/2 integras for the cost of one E36 M3.

But, all beside the point. I probably paid less for my Integra than most people here have into their E30, and it serves my purposes beautifully (ie, it gets great gas mileage and means I can keep my M3 safely tucked away in the garage, instead of parked on campus.)

Miatas might be the best car you could start with to learn vehicle dynamics. I had an S13 240sx that was similar (good suspension/dynamics, but slow).

Watch out for the early, short-snout crank Miatas. They have some issues that require engine replacement to fix. I'm sure a google search will tell you all you need to know.
                                Chris
                                97 M3
                                01 325
                                Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X