This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
    Well, 4 hrs actually, from Loveland, so prob 5 from where you are. Google over estimates.
    Not if you drive the speed limit. Google's estimate was pretty exact for the CO-CA trip.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
      Not sure, I don't see why not.

Well, 4 hrs actually, from Loveland, so prob 5 from where you are. Google over estimates.
      It's a 4 hour drive from Cheyenne....

Comment

Speaking of CO-CA. What route did you take? Did you go 90-SLC-Renoish? I am heading to Yosemite in a week and not sure which way to go.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
          Speaking of CO-CA. What route did you take? Did you go 90-SLC-Renoish? I am heading to Yosemite in a week and not sure which way to go.
          We took I25-I80 all the way to SF. Very pleasant drive, if not a bit dull through parts of nevada and utah.
          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
            We took I25-I80 all the way to SF. Very pleasant drive, if not a bit dull through parts of nevada and utah.
            Yeah, I meant 80. I think that's the way I will take. Something about back road highways in Nevada sounds like a boring and bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
              Yeah, I meant 80. I think that's the way I will take. Something about back road highways in Nevada sounds like a boring and bad idea.
              It's not terrible if you're having fun. Hit up Alex for the gouge, he just did it in his E30... http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255086

If you're going to do I-80, take I-25 to Fort Collins, and the shortcut (287) up to Laramie and meet up with I-80. Shaves some distance/time off the trip.

Comment

well i do 80mph which is only 5 over, which is acceptable. 5 hrs exactly to Sheridan, WY, 4 to Gillette. Maybe 4.5...

either way, wheels blasted and coated, $200, and like I said, I go up there sometimes so I can make deliveries.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
                  It's not terrible if you're having fun. Hit up Alex for the gouge, he just did it in his E30... http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=255086

If you're going to do I-80, take I-25 to Fort Collins, and the shortcut (287) up to Laramie and meet up with I-80. Shaves some distance/time off the trip.
                  Thanks for the link, I didn't know he did that. Yet again, winning at the life game.

We haven't really figured out what we want to do. It's either just book it to Yosemite and maybe Redwood. Or do Brice/Yosemite. Who knows, no real plans :)

Comment

During the summer you can get into Yosemite through the backside is the Sierra nevadas. I believe access is through 395, I'll check in the morning.

Yosemite is cool, I grew up 1.5 hours from there!
                    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                      During the summer you can get into Yosemite through the backside is the Sierra nevadas. I believe access is through 395, I'll check in the morning.

Yosemite is cool, I grew up 1.5 hours from there!
                      Awesome! Is there anything in the area (~2hr radius) that we shouldn't miss while we are near there? We are big hikers and 'explorer type', but also like science/history stuff.

Comment

Dude, def got the way I did. I really like to go off alone in the desert for a couple days each year. I haven't been able to for the last few years, but that drive was dam close enough. The road from that connects from Benton Hot Springs to Lake Mono was one of the best. The climb out of Benton Hot Springs is worth doing a few times. There's a NAPA in Tonopah if you need it. Also plan your fuel stops ahead of time. Generally once you get into the wide open, if there is gas GET IT because the next fuel stop might be out of business or out of gas.

I'd stay in Cedar City, UT. It breaks up the drive nicely. I can give you directions to my secret camp spot in Rabbit Valley on the CO/UT border, but when I woke up in the day light I saw relatively fresh cat tracks IN THE CAMPGROUND PERIMETER.

The drive up the back side of the Sierras is awesome. I hit triple digits descending the pass and there were huge consequences if you had an "off" - like off the super steep cliff with no guard rail. Don't speed in the park, it's heavily patrolled and not cool anyway. Bring a radar detector for NV. I only saw one cop, but they have a beyond visual range advantage on those long straights.

Check the forecast for NV the night before you leave. Wind's can sand blast a car. Hang gliders launch off Glacier Point on weekend mornings around 9:00am. It's pretty cool to watch if you are there.
                        JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
                          Gillette WY - 6 hour drive.
                          Not in a Mooney...
                          JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

The drive from boulder, to LA was awesome. We did it in 14 hours if I remember right. Lots of cool scenery.
                            Eastwood fender roller available for rent in Boulder. PM ME

Comment

Yea, for whatever reason LA is a fair bit closer than SF. Google thinks it's a good five hours closer.

Great scenery though, especially eastern Utah and all of Wyoming. Crazy awesome.
                              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Okay, we will go the lonely way. Thanks for all of the tips it definitely makes things easier. We are totally stopping at the Area 51 gate/signs. I was so nerdy with that stuff when I was a kid.

Comment

Working...
                                X