This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
    thinking about it some more, what exactly is the benefit of VANOS, in general?

It seems M62 power didn't go up much w/ VANOS, M50 not at all...

disclaimer: I am not familiar w/ newer engines, esp w/ regards to VANOS.
    You can run a more aggressive cam without losing lower end torque. The S54 vanos is super trick. You can essentially tell the engine where you want it to make its power, and it will do it.

Comment

S54 vanos is awesome. No hardware change (just tuning) allows for engine output to be modified however you like. In THIS case, the engine is detuned from max power for a NASA class.

Clicky for dyno, because graph is huge

On the M50s, vanos does not affect peak power. What it DOES do is add significant midrange torque. You can't have enough midrange torque, so why would you want to delete vanos? Vanos is pretty damn reliable and proven, and the most common issues are easily fixed with a $60 set of o-rings.
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

edit: huge graph is huge.
        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Took a trip to denver today... what's up with the emission testing vans on the side of the road? What are they measuring? and if your way out of limits, do they hunt you down?
          My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

They're the fast-pass system. I think you have to sign up online, but if you pass by enough of them in a certain time window, and pass each 'test' you then don't have to go to the testing station. Would mean that they won't then harass you for swaps or whatevers.

They don't hunt you down if you fail, because their testing limits are lower since the test is less controlled than normal testing.
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

No penalty for failure, but they will waive your emissions requirement if you pass.

Comment

There is not usually a penalty for failure but I have a buddy who has a near 1000hp truck and as you can imagine it pollutes. He passed one and got a notice in the mail to fix it and bring it in within 30 days. Very rare I am sure, but if you pollute enough they will "hunt you down".

Comment

Interesting. I'll make sure the E30 is on a trailer any time I go to Califenver.
                  My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                    Interesting. I'll make sure the E30 is on a trailer any time I go to Califenver.
                    You wont get a notice, if that is your concern. I know tons of people that drive through them cat-less, no issue.

Not having a front plate is about the only issue you have, but that's only if you park on the street.

We are nowhere near as bad as the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

Comment

^agreed.

I wouldn't worry about it.
                      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

emissions cares about swaps?

I haven't had an issue after 3 trips through w/ s50 or s52 in the Boulder.

Comment

Not that kind i meant ones where obd2 compliance is key-- s54 e30 for example. Still doubt they would care though.
                          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I always lift and coast past them in the Midget. It doesn't even need emissions, but I suspect it could pollute enough for a warning.
                            JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                              Not that kind i meant ones where obd2 compliance is key-- s54 e30 for example. Still doubt they would care though.
                              The only thing you have to prove in a gasoline engine swap is that if the model year of the chassis is equipped with an air pump, it must have that, and it must have the same amount of cats as the model year of the chassis.

For diesel swaps, you can't put an older diesel engine into a newer chassis, even if it's the exact same engine.

Comment

After prolonged negotiating I closed the deal on the M Roadster. A lot of you guys know the car. The seller is a great guy and I was happy to buy from him. I could have got a much faster and better sorted E36 M3 for less, but for me the Z3 driving experience makes up for its short comings. I think the M Coupe has made a me much better driver then other platforms would. I look at is as a challenge

Cliffs: 2000 M Roady. Stock motor except for CAI, S54 Oil Canister and Cooler, A/C Delete. 40K mile tranny. Turbo Flow Mufflers. AKG race bushings. Ground Control coil overs, Koni SA's, Camber Plates. Square Kosei K1's w/ Nitto Rubber. Custom Hard Dog style bar, Momo Wheel, Bride Seats (yes they are flexy!).

Only plan on M50 manifold w/ ASC delete, Strong Struts, Convex Mirror, and bigger radiator.

Full post is here:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Pics:

JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Working...
                                X