Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

waste of money imo. $1k for a long block that hasn't run for 8 years and will require a multi-$k rebuild and will only make less than 300 hp?

naah.

Comment

I already bought that. Surprised he hasn't taken the ad down yet.

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
      waste of money imo. $1k for a long block that hasn't run for 8 years and will require a multi-$k rebuild and will only make less than 300 hp?

naah.

Go look up what a new S38 cylinder head costs, for both pieces of it, then tell me its not worth it. Plus, I got a lot of extras with it. actually technically sorta kinda got two S38s for the price of that one. :up:

Comment

Hell, you can't even buy 4 timing chain guide rails for that engine for less than $1000.

Comment

Sam, e34 s38b36 makes 315 HP, so you're wrong on that too.
          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
          95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
            One of the ones I just bought is a B35, so it only makes 256hp... pretty ridiculously easy to get 300whp out of one though.

Comment

Aren't the heads pretty much the same tho?
              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I think they're a little different, but we'll find out!

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post

Go look up what a new S38 cylinder head costs, for both pieces of it, then tell me its not worth it. Plus, I got a lot of extras with it. actually technically sorta kinda got two S38s for the price of that one. :up:
                  For resale, sure it's worth it. For horsepower per dollar, not worth it.

Hell, you can't even buy 4 timing chain guide rails for that engine for less than $1000.
                  ...reinforcing my above point.

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                  i'm pretty sure the E28 M5 (US spec) doesn't make 315 hp.

Comment

For resale, sure it's worth it. For a horsepower per dollar, not worth it.
                    Everything I buy will be resold at some point. I have absolutely no desire or intention to own or drive the same vehicle(s) for my entire life. Life is too short for such absurd notions. So it's definitely worth it...

Comment

Everything I buy will be resold at some point. I have absolutely no desire or intention to own or drive the same vehicle(s) for my entire life. Life is too short for such absurd notions. So it's definitely worth it...
                      ha! Same logic that drove me to buy a Mk2 Jetta! ;)

Comment

ha! Same logic that drove me to buy a Mk2 Jetta! ;)
                        However, in contrast to an S38, there's nothing cool about a 4 cylinder, water-cooled, non-diesel volkswagen.

Comment

my fasha is nearly done buying all of the parts for his s36.

almost $4000 later.

but it's gonna be a beast... can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

that was definitely a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by tehwickerman View Post
                              my fasha is nearly done buying all of the parts for his s36.

almost $4000 later.

but it's gonna be a beast... can't wait to see the finished product.
                              $4000, that's a budget build. :(

Comment

yea i actually think i'm a bit on the low side.

pretty much everything is new... rods, bearings, high comp pistons, block hot tanked and honed, crank ground, hot cams....

and he hasn't bought gaskets, chain guides, chains, or any of the little stuff yet.

i'm definitely way off with $4k now that i think about this.

Comment

Working...
                                X