This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
    How so? I thinking M50 swapping an E30 is rather pointless unless your M20 is that dead. I feel the same about an M62, except that it's more pointless.
    M50 has more torque and is more an install and forget motor, but yea, not really a big difference.

They're similar because the S62 is,like the S50US, a more performance-focused iteration of the lower echelon motor. Completely unlike the S38, S14, S85, S50realones, S54, where there is nothing in common with the common production motors.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
      Completely unlike the S38, S14, S85, S50realones, S54, where there is nothing in common with the common production motors.
      Can't group s54 or s50 (both great motors) with s14,s38; totally different history/league.

s85 is just a weird duck.

Comment

Originally posted by colorado_cabrio View Post
        Can't group s54 or s50 (both great motors) with s14,s38; totally different history/league.

I was grouping them on how they're all unrelated to the normal 3/5 series motors, unlike the US S50/2 and the S62, that's all.
        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
          M50 has more torque and is more an install and forget motor, but yea, not really a big difference.

They're similar because the S62 is,like the S50US, a more performance-focused iteration of the lower echelon motor. Completely unlike the S38, S14, S85, S50realones, S54, where there is nothing in common with the common production motors.
          M50 also weighs more...

The S14 is to the M10 as the S62 is to the M62 more-so than the S62 is to M62 as the S52 is to the M52.

But agreed on the rest.

Why not? The s14/S38 are pretty much the same motor, and all three are BMW M I6 motors with ITBs that rev pretty high. The S50/S54 are just improved versions with variable cam timing and better design.

An awesome duck...

Comment

That's what I'm saying the s50/2 and s60/2 are all pretty closely related to their standard counterparts. They did all evolve from the standard motor.

s14 and s38 did not evolve from the m10/20/30, rather were independently developed along side

Comment

That's what I'm saying the s50/2 and s60/2 are all pretty closely related to their standard counterparts. They did all evolve from the standard motor.
              The S50 is very dissimilar to the M50 or the S52. You're talking about the S50US, which we are not.

s14 and s38 did not evolve from the m10/20/30, rather were independently developed along side
              Not even close to correct dude lol. The M10 was around for decades before the S14, and the S14 is basically an M10 with a shortened S38 head and other mods.

Comment

Pretty sure all S engines were developed from road engines. S38 from M88 in M1 from M49 in 3.0, etc.

The S85 and S65 were built on their own though, pretty sure from F1 tech.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
                  Pretty sure all S engines were developed from road engines. S38 from M88 in M1 from M49 in 3.0, etc.

The S85 and S65 were built on their own though, pretty sure from F1 tech.
                  The S50/S54 line was developed mostly from scratch, but before those, yes, I'd agree.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                    wicked...

yeah you linked it and mentioned you'd pay the price, didn't know if you were serious or not, you can get into some trouble replying to those email addresses. Either you will just get spammed out your ears, or someone will try to get some of your personal info. It's also sad that so many people fall for it.
                    Well, if there were actually an E60 M5 for 8.5k then yes, I would pay the price...but I would hope no one is naive enough to believe a V10 powered "super-saloon" would go for that...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I could have sworn both S50 and 54 were an evolution of the M50.

Its like lamborghini. Their v12 engine was an evolution all the ways up to the 670-SV, sure it has a lot more tech but it's still an evolution.

Comment

Agreed I was referring to US s50/2. "Unlike the RoW S50, this engine used a regular M50 intake in lieu of the individual throttle body set up and hydraulic valve lifters in lieu of solid ones. The cylinder head and the VANOS system are also different on the US S50 versus the RoW model; again having more in common with the regular M50 than the Euro S50."

m88 is hardly a street/standard motor, designed and hand bulit by GHMB BMW Motorsport.

s14 is kind of 50/50, agreed it used the m10 as a basis, but "It combines the basic four-cylinder block from the M10 family with a four-valve head derived from the one used on the six-cylinder M88 and S38 motors"

but agreed, I was basing my comments on us s50/2 vs Motorsport designed and developed engines.

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
                          I could have sworn both S50 and 54 were an evolution of the M50.
                          They are very dissimilar. The only thing the S50 shares with the M50/M52/S50US/S52 is a pilot bearing and an oil filter.

Agreed I was referring to US s50/2. "Unlike the RoW S50, this engine used a regular M50 intake in lieu of the individual throttle body set up and hydraulic valve lifters in lieu of solid ones. The cylinder head and the VANOS system are also different on the US S50 versus the RoW model; again having more in common with the regular M50 than the Euro S50."

m88 is hardly a street/standard motor, designed and hand bulit by GHMB BMW Motorsport.

s14 is kind of 50/50, agreed it used the m10 as a basis, but "It combines the basic four-cylinder block from the M10 family with a four-valve head derived from the one used on the six-cylinder M88 and S38 motors"

but agreed, I was basing my comments on us s50/2 vs Motorsport designed and developed engines.
                          Fwiw: most people don't even regard the S50US/S52 as an S-motor. The only things shared with the real S50 is an oil filter and a pilot bearing.

But yeah, the S14 and the M10 basis were not developed side-by-side like you originally said. ;)

Comment

I agree the parts are different due to performance tweaks. I just would have expected the cost of the M3's to be much greater if they actually started from scratch on the S50/54.

Comment

my head hurts from reading that whole brain-numbing argument.

well, i don't care, im slapping an S50 in my E30 one day.

Comment

I just doesn't make engineering or financial sense to completly start from sratch for the S50/52/54. But hey, that doesn't stop them and I never actually looked into the subject.

Comment

Working...
                                X