Cleaned Engine (Product Comparison)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaned Engine (Product Comparison)

So, I got off work early today and cleaned the intake manifold and the valve cover. Did a little product comparison also.

The good ol' before picture: YUCKY

Split the job right down the middle to compare my two products.
    1st (left side): Purple Power Citrus Cleaner ($2.97)
    2nd (right side): Simple Green all purpose cleaner ($3.97)

All Done!

Conclusion:
    They clean the same, really. The Simple Green costs a buck more, but smells great! the purple power stuff really didn't smell too much at all in comparison to the Simple Green. So, who doesn't love the smell of Simple Green?

1989 325i Alpine White
    69 STX

simple green makes your nose burn. You wanna further conduct tests on my M42s?

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
      You wanna further conduct tests on my M42s?
      Haha, NO! My fingers hurt :p Those pictures were supposed to be motivation for you!

1989 325i Alpine White
      69 STX

Comment

Every time i pressure wash my engine I end up with water in the oil and have to change it out. Ive searched for sources of the leak but i cant find one. I replaced the oil fill cap but other than that I have no idea and its not just a little bit of water. Its super milky. Any thoughts?
        Originally posted by joshw02
        Nice, did the saturn interior swap I see.
        Originally posted by Ian Bowers
        If we ever get in a BMW fight with Norway, you're our best hope.

Comment

Originally posted by gmyers395 View Post
          Every time i pressure wash my engine I end up with water in the oil and have to change it out. Ive searched for sources of the leak but i cant find one. I replaced the oil fill cap but other than that I have no idea and its not just a little bit of water. Its super milky. Any thoughts?
          bad seal on the dip stick? That would lead straight to the oil pan... Also, bad valve cover venting hoses? That also leads to the oil pan.

Comment

hahah i do have a thought… head gasket

I mean, water alone really wouldn't make it "milky" right? sounds like coolant

Comment

not bad..how come all bmw have those flaky yellow stain? i have never seen it before until i own my 318is.
              Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
                not bad..how come all bmw have those flaky yellow stain? i have never seen it before until i own my 318is.
                Oil seals probably went bad. My M3 doesn't have it, neither did my 2k2.

Comment

SHould have tried good old gunk

Comment

Not a head gasket since it only happens immediately following pressure washing the engine. Otherwise the oil is clean as a whistle. Could be the dipstick but it has o-rings on it that should keep water out I would think. Ill check out the valve cover venting hose next time I'm messing around under the hood. Maybe I should start a thread and quit jacking this one but it seemed relevant.
                    Originally posted by joshw02
                    Nice, did the saturn interior swap I see.
                    Originally posted by Ian Bowers
                    If we ever get in a BMW fight with Norway, you're our best hope.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
                      Baked on cosmoline, right? Dealers were supposed to remove it from the factory but most didn't.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
                        Baked on cosmoline, right? Dealers were supposed to remove it from the factory but most didn't.
                        this

Comment

try spray 9 next time. We stock gallons at a time at the shop, use in in the interior(water down), straight in the engine bay and underside. Stuff is awesome and can be purchased at Home Depot.
                          sigpic
                          New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                          %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Simple green is corrosive to aluminum and other non ferrous parts and was banned by the military for use on aircraft. But it does clean the beejesus out of it. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
                              Well, my engine bay is covered in it :(

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
                              try spray 9 next time. We stock gallons at a time at the shop, use in in the interior(water down), straight in the engine bay and underside. Stuff is awesome and can be purchased at Home Depot.
                              Will do!

1989 325i Alpine White
                              69 STX

Comment

Working...
                              X