Subaru people - 11' WRX owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subaru people - 11' WRX owners?

Please don't turn this into subaru hate. Yes, they are ugly. But they are great cars for the price.

Anyways, we are putting down our deposit on the Fiat 500 Abarth on Saturday. All this does for us is holds the first place in line officially. There is rumor they will be limited for the entire production. I will be first in line and will get to pick the options I want. It's fully refundable if I back out for whatever reason.

Now, I just found out you can get base 2011 WRX with the better body style and in the 5-door for $26,500. We did look at Subarus early this year when the 2011 were released but they only had fully loaded sedans. We drove a 2009 STI 5-door to get an idea. It was "meh", but it was slightly modded so that was probably making it worse.

Question: Does anyone here own a current generation WRX 5-door?

If the abarth ends up costing nearly the same as the Subaru then we have a hard decision to make. The more practical subaru with more power and space, but is butt ugly and boring. Or the awesome Abarth that will bring a smile to my face.

Question: How reliable/happy with your current gen WRX are you?

Looking for opinions on owning a new subaru. Any help would be great from current owners.

We have an appointment to drive a 2011 WRX 5-door on Saturday as well.

Question: Can you fit mountain bikes IN the 5-door?

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

I don't think that you will get too many responses posting this on a bmw forum. Try browsing NASIOC or other subaru forums. I know that most people that have them enjoy them and that they are great cars.....but god are they ugly.
    89 325i (Sold)
    95 M3 (Track Car in Progress)
    2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

Yes, I have been browsing the subaru forums. I thought I saw a few people here have new WRX's, I just forgot who.

Comment

My good friend has an 11. He just traded in his 08. Of course you know both are similar. The 08 has never had a problem. It has been dead reliable even when stage 2. So the motor isn't really a worry. But the one thing he hates is the crappy quality on both the 11 and the 08. The whole car just feels cheap from the plastic door cards to the light weight body panels. The interior is slightly better on the 11 but thats because they changed something in the dash. Some reason is just feels less plasticy, but still something you'd find in a kia. The performance is pretty good though and it is very easy to drive.

As far as the hatch; it feels like an after thought. If you get the sound system there is a sub that you must remove from the car if you plan on having to fold down the seats. It sits right but against the back of the rear seat and will be in the way when trying to put in your mountain bike. I haven't tried to fit a bike in the back, but it seems spacious enough to fit at least one with out a front tire. You may be able to cram two in there.

All in all its a decent car. Its just a hyped up japanese econobox that will let you spin tires and get home safely in the snow. We have had 0 reliability issues even with the 08 being beat on relentlessly and they are fairly safe cars (got T-boned and car held up well).
        Originally posted by Sonny
        I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJosh View Post
          All in all its a decent car. Its just a hyped up japanese econobox that will let you spin tires and get home safely in the snow. We have had 0 reliability issues even with the 08 being beat on relentlessly and they are fairly safe cars (got T-boned and car held up well).
          Thanks! This is how I have viewed them. You are another people that says they are pretty reliable.

Do you find yourself getting bored with them at all? Or does it remain fun to drive?

Comment

Subaru non-owner and proud.

That may change in a few hours though....

Comment

I kept my 03 WRX since its paid off im very happy and pleased with the performance 300whp daily, maintenance is very cheap, autocrossed twice. I kinda agree with you on the newer gen subaru they're kinda ugly but i dont mind owning one. now it sits in my storage with my s2000. I like driving my e30 a lot coz it suits my personality. I like the attention i get out of it. I like the classic look and I've always like the E30's

The day i got my e30

and how it sits now
              Last edited by rstimpreza; 10-21-2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

I have owned only subys before my e30. In its class I think it's hard to beat for a Colorado car. If you can get a nicely optioned 5-door for 26,500 I don't think you will regret it. That said, my brother recently bought a GTi for about 29,000 and that is a better car all around (although much more expensive to maintain than Subys). The 2011 is the best one they have released in my eyes. The abilities of the car easily make up for the fit and finish of the interior. Believe it or not the looks may grow on you, one way or another, as you drive it... You start to appreciate them for what they are. Cheap, reliable, safe, very capable cars. The '11 has the best interior, wider track, the good gear ratios, the good turbo, and you will be getting a good price. You will be happy to have all that extra space! Tough decision, but buying new cars is always fun!

Comment

Oh, and I doubt you will get bored. But if you do little things like a rear sway bar and stage 2 completely transform these cars for relatively little money. Check out the Boost Creep ltd. He's in Longmont I think. Harvey is the owner/tuner and a great guy, really knows his stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by blefevre View Post
                    Thanks! This is how I have viewed them. You are another people that says they are pretty reliable.

Do you find yourself getting bored with them at all? Or does it remain fun to drive?
                    well since Its not my personal car and I don't drive it daily (but ride in it) I don't get bored when I drive it. But it doesn't have that wow factor when your driving it. Its fun once the turbo spools simple because it has so much more power then my E30 and it feels pretty planted 90% of the time. But when just DDing it you don't get a sense of sportiness or character like you do with the E30. It just feels like another Subaru.

I know you aren't talking about it vs a e30 but rather a 500. But I have never driven or ridden in one so I cannot comment on that aspect.
                    Originally posted by Sonny
                    I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Originally posted by silver4dr View Post
                      I have owned only subys before my e30. In its class I think it's hard to beat for a Colorado car. If you can get a nicely optioned 5-door for 26,500 I don't think you will regret it. That said, my brother recently bought a GTi for about 29,000 and that is a better car all around (although much more expensive to maintain than Subys). The 2011 is the best one they have released in my eyes. The abilities of the car easily make up for the fit and finish of the interior. Believe it or not the looks may grow on you, one way or another, as you drive it... You start to appreciate them for what they are. Cheap, reliable, safe, very capable cars. The '11 has the best interior, wider track, the good gear ratios, the good turbo, and you will be getting a good price. You will be happy to have all that extra space! Tough decision, but buying new cars is always fun!
                      Thanks! I love the GTi too. I've driven a ton of new ones and is still number 3 on the list. But I have to start narrowing it down, so it's up to these two now. I really do like the improvements on the '11 WRX. I will have to make sure to spend a lot of time with it on Saturday. While the point of this new car is a DD that is fun...the added space of the WRX over the Abarth is something that can't be ignored.

Comment

Brad, Im going to send you my buddy's email. He just bought a '11 wrx sedan and loves it to pieces, he would likely answer questions better than I could.

That said, they are amazing cars for the price. Safe, reliable, fast, and can handle well with very light spring/shock/sway mods.

A wrx is totally different from an abarth though.
                        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
                          A wrx is totally different from an abarth though.
                          Yep, it's very hard to compare the two. That is what i'm doing though! If the Abarth is cheap then it's a no brainer. If it comes in at 25,000 then uhhhhhh.......

Comment

Yeah.....2011 WRX is a damn nice car for the money. Almost too good. Mykal would hit the boost in 2nd gear after the turbo lag.....scream....then let off because she was scared. It was classic.

I put the deposit on the Abarth. I guess I can only make the decision when it's released. However, hearing more and more about the new WRX's make it a very hard choice.

Comment

Any reason our not considering the sti?

Comment

Working...
                              X