OT: Got Some New Horns for the Midget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Got Some New Horns for the Midget

Long story short, my Dad was a train fanatic. He built a crazy camper in the shape of a caboose with a bunch of real train horns and whistles. When he passed I inherited his crazy MG Midget and by brother inherited the caboose truck. Taking care of the caboose truck was a massive undertaking compared to the Midget, so sadly the day came when he needed to part it. Not wanting my Dad's tradition to end, the only suitable home for a set of horns was on the Midget. I got the 3 note Leslie Supertyfon, which is a 50-60's vintage diesel locomotive horn. My bro kept the Nathan 5 note.

The Caboose Truck

3 Note Leslie Supertyfon

The Midget

At first I wanted to mount them on a extra filler tube my dad had plumbed to an extra gas tank (that fueled a flame thrower). But, the arm of the horns and the base of the mount inside of the trunk proved a difficult engineering challenge. I reverted to the simplest design I could think of. A solid wood mount inside the trunk with a latch that locks the trunk lid just above the horns. I also needed to mount a 20 gallon air tank, plumbing (I used 1/4" ID tubing, but it's too small), valves, and filler coupling. I plan on finding another British Racing Green trunk lid and cutting an opening for the horns. With the lid half open I get way too much toxic exhaust fumes in the cabin. It will be terrible with the top down.

Mounted

I did some test blasts at 110psi last Saturday and the cops were cruising my neighborhood in 5 minutes! Today I did a drive by down the street and was impressed with the results. The note of the Supertyfon is supposed to be slightly off-key. It was designed to be a less pleasing note than on-key, which would somehow increase the safety by making people run away from the sound. I think with 3/8" or 1/2" ID air hose I can get the volume necessary to get a less muted sound.

Drive By

Last edited by Cloudbase; 11-03-2012, 09:55 PM.
    JOY IS AN E30...

There is a lot of awesome in this post. I love it!

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

1991 318i SOLD
      2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Nice work, The caboose truck is pretty BA as well..

Comment

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Holy shit!!!!

v i s i o n a u t i k s

Comment

Comment

That is sweet, I love how the horns are bigger than the trunk

Comment

That is so cool! It looks like it is rocket powered.

Comment

Love the Gif Lambo!

I think the larger hoses and less couplings will really free up some volume.

I'm supposed to go to a birthday brunch for my mother-in-law today and am really tempted to blast the place, but the tags on the Midget expired in July making it a risky proposition. :evil:
                    JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Cubic amounts of awesome in this thread.

Well done Alex, can't wait to see it!
                      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Just the thought of blowing this horn in traffic made me laugh out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudbase View Post

At first I wanted to mount them on a extra filler tube my dad had plumbed to an extra gas tank (that fueled a flame thrower).
                          WTF !

awesome
                          1987 325ic
                          2001 996tt
                          2000 996c2 vert
                          2008 b7 s4
                          2008 ml550

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudbase View Post
                            Love the Gif Lambo!

I think the larger hoses and less couplings will really free up some volume.

I'm supposed to go to a birthday brunch for my mother-in-law today and am really tempted to blast the place, but the tags on the Midget expired in July making it a risky proposition. :evil:

After you get pulled over:

1. Depress clutch, select high gear, rev engine to the rpm corresponding to cruising speed.

2. Wait for officer to exit squad car, and begin approach.

3. Blast horn until MG reaches cruising speed, release clutch and admire blue tumbleweed in your rearview.

4. Profit.
                            sigpic
                            Originally posted by JinormusJ
                            Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
                            1989 325is Raged on then sold.
                            1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
                            1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
                            1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Love the place to empty your "caboose"

Comment

Working...
                              X