Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Emissions Test

Hello all,

Something that occurred to me while thinking about an engine swap for my '87. The gf and I may eventually wind up in Colorado once she's out of school. Here in Ohio, my car is over 25 years old and therefore needs no emissions check or test of any kind. From what I've read online, Colorado's emissions test appear to be required in the more populated counties, much like Ohio. I can't seem to find any info on if there is a model-year cutoff like Ohio has.

What are your experiences with this and does Colorado have any additional restrictions or regulations on motor swaps? Thanks in advance for the help!
    -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
    '95 525iT
    '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    '98 Disco 1

just has to pass the emissions test. Nothing special for motor swaps.

my s50 and s52 both passed with just a 49 state cat.

Comment

Colorado used to have the 25 year historic emissions bypass. But, iirc they upped it to 35 years (or something like that) last year or the year before.

My car, with 20 year old exhaust and emissions system passed last year really easily. I wouldn't worry about it too much if you're e30 is in decent shape and not too crazy.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Its pretty straight forward but the problem is all the dumb ass people they have working there, they'll make the dumbest excuse about little shit sometimes, its ridiculous!
        sigpic
        HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
        " enjoy the show "

Comment

Last time I took the Jag in, they failed the gas cap after trying to test it for 20 minutes. I assumed they didn't know what they were doing, told them what I thought, and then drove straight to another testing center and it passed just fine. They just don't care because they know we don't have a choice but to get the car tested at a very limited number of places so they basically can do whatever they want.

Comment

Weird. I've always been in and out at the one off Parker Rd, near Lincoln.

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

That's the one I've been going to recently. The one that messed up testing my gas cap was at County Line and Colorado.

Comment

I think the simmplified 2 gas test is for 81 and older vehicles, the rolling test is for newer. My 72 2002 was of course in the previous category, my 86 535i the latter. I just tested and passed on June 30.

Ditto on the individual oddities, some folks have no trouble, some get the 3rd degree. Depends entirely on the technician. I had one tell me the 535 would fail because the 'Check Engine' light was on - of course I tapped the brake and explained it was for Lights, not engine. Sheesh!
                Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
                Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
                Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
                Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Forgot I posted this here....

Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like Colorado isn't quite as easy to scoot by as Ohio with this stuff but it sounds like my cars would make it through ok. Hopefully my gf and I will wind up in the Denver area in the next few years.... Cleveland weather blows, haha.
                  -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                  '95 525iT
                  '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                  '98 Disco 1

Comment

To feed off of this thread... what are your guys' experiences with the drive by emissions stuff?

Comment

I always try to use the drive-bys. It works most every year - I make a point to hit 'em 2-3 times, 2 months before expirations. Saves me the trip to the Test Centers and the extra $.
                      With my 02, I never want to take it in - for fear they'll do a visual equipment inspection, or I'll fail the (tougher?) emissions test at the centers.

Tom
                      Last edited by visionaut; 08-05-2014, 09:46 PM. Reason: typos

v i s i o n a u t i k s

Comment

CO emissions is a cakewalk. If it has a cat you will be fine.
                        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                        95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Anyone know of a place that may be more lenient in checking for cats? The new ride doesn't appear to have them.

Comment

Originally posted by S14pwrdE30 View Post
                            Anyone know of a place that may be more lenient in checking for cats? The new ride doesn't appear to have them.
                            El Paso County.

Or just register it as a farm vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                            X