Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a good E30 Repair Shop near Boston...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a good E30 Repair Shop near Boston...

Hey guys,

Seth here, over in Cambridge, MA. Driving a '92 325iC, and I want to keep her forever. She's a blast!

I'm pretty new to the site...but was wondering if any of you knew of an awesome (and affordable ) local E30 wrench?

I'm a bit over my head, but want to take care of the following ASAP:

* A rough idle (I've already replaced the ICV to fix the fast-slow idle), which smoothed things out but now has a rough idle again and the check-engline light comes on after 30 secs...the stomp test shows that it's running rich...

* Squealing brakes (I replaced the rotors a few years ago...and just want the brakes to be redone) and for the car to stop better

* A good tune up (I'm losing quite a few MPG...but it's likely to be expected at 98k)

* Anyone who can recover the old R12 Freon and replace it after flushing the system out (I don't want to go to R134a if I can), but this is definitely not vital as it works but not well.

Less importantly, I'm looking for a place to finally take care of the following:

* Body work (a bit of rust is starting on the bottom, and I'd like to catch it while I can before it spreads) and a few dings need to be popped out and repainted

* Some upholstery work (the leather seams are splitting and the leather's wearing after 20 years)

Any thoughts/insights/suggestions would be awesome. I'd do more stuff by myself, but current garage space to work on the car is really limited right now and I've hurt my back. Many thanks in advance!

- Seth (thoomp)

Hey Seth,

I'm from LA (Lowell Area) about 40 minutes North of Cambridge. There are some good shops around here that I would be happy to talk to you about, but not sure if that is too far for you, let me know.

Also, I'll find the name of this place much closer to you, it is a gas station with a couple of service bays, the owner and his friends are into BMW's, e30s mostly. He has a nice convertible with a motor swap. I don't know much about his work, but he seemed like a decent guy that was honest and knew what he was talking about.

Glad you like the car!

Comment

Yes please! I'd consider coming up to Lowell if the hourly rate is right; it looks like $90 is the going rate down here by Boston. Please let me know what you've got up there, and the local place down here. Would love to get this rough idle and check engine light fixed ASAP...

I've had my 325iC for about 15 years (I'm the second owner, but need to get things into shape as I'm at 98K miles...) and am glad to finally reach out to you guys online here.

Comment

Got to german auto sports in amsbury ma, there is allso schneller but they are $$$, turner moter sports and kmc motersports in lawrence ma.
        Last edited by bpmack16; 05-21-2012, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Any idea of the hourly rates? Way cool and many thanks! Turner wants $95/hr...

My gut says it's my O2 sensor that's failing; I may just swap that out first...

Comment

I would def swap that out first it is verry easy to do. If you need a new one let me know I have 2. I dont know the rates but well worth the money at german auto sports. Talk to Damon and at kmc talk to tim.

Comment

Great, bpmack! Just sent you a PM per the O2 sensor...

Comment

Haven't been there myself, but I've heard good things about Boston Motor Werks in Belmont on Pleasant Street. I drive past on my way to work and have seen a few e30's in the parking lot. They also discount club members...

Comment

Bpmack listed all of the ones around here. I'm still waiting to hear back from that person regarding the service station closer to Boston.

Comment

How cool...Thanks for looking into the local option, Pete. That sounds like it's the most convenient option, and I'll wait to hear back from you.

Comment

What does the stomp test flash for a code?

Originally posted by whysimon
                      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

CT Motorworks in Holbrook, owners name is Takis. Let him know one of Joe's friends sent you.

Shop high quality Automotive,Free Home Delivery. Item Ships From Warehouse near you.

Comment

Thanks, guys! Really appreciate it.

I think the stomp test was 1222 - running rich...lambda...

Next step is changing out the O2 sensor. Makes a bit of sense, since I doubt it was ever replaced in the 98K miles.

Comment

Yes, it's more than likely your O2 sensor is on its last legs.

My guess is that your hunting idle is likely caused by a vacuum leak somewhere, or a faulty AFM.

Originally posted by whysimon
                            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                            X