Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting money for an empty car shell? Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting money for an empty car shell? Possible?

Hi Guys,

Am i crazy thinking that I should get a bit of cash from these so called (we buy any junk car guys?)

Long story short, Bought a 92 325i (e36) for a parts car . it was rolled over, so all glass is gone, every body panel in trashed...etc etc.

Took the engine and tranny out. Now want to sell the rest for scrap metal.

Anyone find anyone out there buying for just scrap metal? I would love to get a bit of cash to fund my E30 project. (s52 in my cabrio)

Am I being to greedy? LOL

I know if I could get it to the scrap yard it would be worth some money.

I just have no way of getting it there.

Sorry for my venting. Just so sick of these adds saying we buy any car and condition..when they flat out dont.

They all will take it for free though.

Jay

You should get around $100 for the shell. They will come drag it onto the flatbed free pickup so long as you have a title for it.
    Transaction Feedback!

Comment

Thats what I thought. Cant seem to find anyone though. Once they hear that there is no engine or tranny, they don't want it. LOL

100 bucks would get me half way there to my AKG motor mounts I need.

Comment

Call an actual metal scrap yard, they sometimes have car pick up services.

Comment

I had a e30 shell, no roof no floor, no rad support, just the shell.
          sold for around $300 to picknpull

Comment

cut the metal to pieces and take to metal recyclers. Not to PNP. IIRC, for a full car's weight, you get $300-up. Pick and Pull pays about $300 now a days for complete cars and between $50-100 for shells.

Comment

I know of a place here in Hartford that a friend of mine has cars taken to for scrap, they gave him $350 for an E30 shell I had if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if its because he owns the shop though.

Unfortunately the people who will "take it for free" do so with the intension of selling the shell for the weight in scrap metal to justify their time to go pick up the car, fuel burned by the truck and the drivers salary.

Comment

once i stripped my e30 shell down to a non roller they actually wanted to charge me to get rid of it. ended up just giving it away to someone so i didnt have to pay to have it taken

The Build:
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Don't tell them it's stripped, just call your local yard and they'll see it in person and pay out. The whole scrap metal thing is weighted (no pun intended) heavily in the scrapyard's favor, and when you tell them it's "stripped" they think it's just a rollcage. In reality, they still make out since they pay chump change for metal on the ton.

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

I've sold 2 e30's that have been stripped down (no interior, suspension, fenders, hood, etc..) for $300 a piece picked up at my house. Phone around and you'll be able to find someone to take it for some money. Car had to be dragged out off the tires that were holding it up (ghetto jack stands) by a winch. Secret is not telling them many details ;)
                    320I - under construction

Comment

Thanks guys. Got someone to come get it last weekend. Got 200 bucks. Should have asked for more.. But live and learn. I will probably have another shell for sale, once I pull the motor. I'll try asking 300 this time.
                      Jay

Comment

Working...
                      X