Machining a Flywheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machining a Flywheel?

I've tried google and a couple local shops and I'm not having any luck.

I have an i flywheel. I need it to be shaved down on the motor side to accommodate my m52. It would be awesome if I could get it lightened as well.

Input anyone?
    Originally posted by z31maniac
    I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

I just took it to a local engine machine shop... I would recommend the shop that did mine... Only cost me $120 + Tax = like 150... But they are here, and you are in Seattle.
    sigpic
    e30 Sold long ago - Too many BMWs since then... For now 2006 M5

Comment

You dont have to machine the back to make it fit.
      You will see two the two long bolts that hold the back of the oil pan on. Grind the aluminum down to there it is flush with the head of the bolt.
      Then there is a little peep hole circle, Grind that down some too and done.
      NAPA will surface your flywheel for about 30.00

Comment

I have a flywheel at Autosport right now (in Seattle) to be lightened/resurfaced/balanced. Its going to cost like 190 + tax for all of that. From what I understand a lot of Pro3 drivers goto this place. Just remember to bring your pressure plate with the flywheel so they can balance it all together

Comment

Originally posted by balooshinakus View Post
          I have a flywheel at Autosport right now (in Seattle) to be lightened/resurfaced/balanced. Its going to cost like 190 + tax for all of that. From what I understand a lot of Pro3 drivers goto this place. Just remember to bring your pressure plate with the flywheel so they can balance it all together
          Fuck. That's expensive!

Is it really worth it?
          Originally posted by z31maniac
          I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

on a side note u got the trans brace from me right??

Comment

You lose several lbs on rotating mass... so yes it is worth it.
              :: PNW Crew ::
              '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Another place you could try is Auburn Auto Machine. He used to do a bit of bmw stuff but mainly does all the drag cars around seattle. Be Sure to talk with Mike if you call, he's the guy who would most likely be making the call on whether they can do it or not.

Comment

They took mine down until the back was even with the ring gear, and then went a little more in. I didn't take the pressure plate in though... But I don't feel any crazy vibrations, so hopefully all is good. Engine revs nicely!
                  sigpic
                  e30 Sold long ago - Too many BMWs since then... For now 2006 M5

Comment

Working...
                  X