m20 woes

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HellzMindPlaya
    replied
    It wasn't the main relay that was bad... It was probably the fuel pump relay... i found after checking with a multimeter and power from the car that one of the orange/yellow relays that was used for either the O2 sensor heater circuit or the fuel pump was dead. The main relay was just in the wrong base.

    Before I arrived, and I am probably somewhat guilty as well, the relays in the aux relay bundle got swapped around a few times.
    Last edited by HellzMindPlaya; 11-24-2009, 09:40 AM. Reason: More info (combined triple post)

    Leave a comment:


  • HellzMindPlaya
    replied
    I finally realized the relay was in the wrong spot when i looked at the bottom of the base for the relay and noticed that they were not using one of the two "87" posts. I then looked over and noticed that another base was using both "87" posts but that the relay in that base only had on "87" post. We were not getting power to the coil side of the fuel pump relay and I noticed that the coil side of the fuel pump relay gets its power from the center of the main relay when I was looking and the ETM.

    If you are working on a car it really helps to have the ETM and to also know how to read it.

    Leave a comment:


  • StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Jesus fucking christ.

    I am now officially on a tirade to replace every goddamn main relay on every E30, everywhere.

    Leave a comment:


  • SiGmA_X
    replied
    I'm glad you got it fixed. Pretty freaking simple. Did you not check the main relay? Its often a cause of random issues. If you don't have power everywhere you should have it, well, yeah. Back probing the relays is always a good idea too. Lesson learned! I suppose I should have come up there for 15min of electrical fun lol... Again, glad you got her fixed!

    Leave a comment:


  • jeffw
    replied
    just put a plug in the wire ad test it you don't have to pull the plug

    Leave a comment:


  • daniel
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric Devier
    Haha. Yes, yes it is :D and now I'm ready to party!!

    Tomorrow it's getting a coolant change and an oil change.

    Saving for some maint items, and wheels.
    SWEET! congrats. have you done suspension yet?

    Leave a comment:


  • Edev
    replied
    Originally posted by daniel
    OMGZ its ALL FIXED?!?
    Haha. Yes, yes it is :D and now I'm ready to party!!

    Tomorrow it's getting a coolant change and an oil change.

    Saving for some maint items, and wheels.

    Leave a comment:


  • daniel
    replied
    OMGZ its ALL FIXED?!?

    Leave a comment:


  • Edev
    replied
    Yup. It runs. There are 3 aux relays. I tested them, and so did Matt. Then Josh came over in his eta to swap those three relays. Well, when someone was switching them, they didn't put them back in their correct place (dark out). Trever came over and helped troubleshoot. The main relay was the culprit I suppose. When someone swapped those three relays with Joshs, they weren't put back together in the same spot so that's why it didn't start when Josh came over.

    No worries though. Trever is a great guy and is very smart. Thanks.

    Leave a comment:


  • whiltebeitel
    replied
    So it runs? I was talking with him about that relay.... hmmm, I thought he swapped it before with a good one.

    Leave a comment:


  • whiltebeitel
    replied
    Wait, WAT?

    Leave a comment:


  • jhowell
    replied
    I have an OBC relay if you want to try that, it's used but the car would start and run fine when it was removed.

    Also, could this be the OBC code function? Doesn't that block spark somehow?
    Last edited by jhowell; 11-19-2009, 12:25 PM. Reason: I thought of more

    Leave a comment:


  • Edev
    replied
    Originally posted by HellzMindPlaya
    And after we have dinner, I really hope we get this thing finished tonight.
    Oh sweet jebus, me too. I just got back from Rasmussen so the part is waiting.

    And since it's electrical, there's no way I'd be able to return it, even if I don't use it.

    Leave a comment:


  • HellzMindPlaya
    replied
    And after we have dinner, I really hope we get this thing finished tonight.

    Leave a comment:


  • Edev
    replied
    Updates make me sad because it still doesn't run. I'll update this again tonight after Trever leaves, and hopefully have it running by then.

    Leave a comment:

Working...