m20 woes

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Edev
    replied
    Originally posted by whiltebeitel
    Use a multimeter and check the pin outs on the harness connector to the ECU. Seriously, that will show you what is screwed up. Stop wasting time randomly swapping parts and diagnose it. It'll take a couple of hours, but you will actually get somewhere with it.
    So I take the ECU off of the harness then I turn the key to the on position, right before you actually start the car. Then I take the multimeter and use it on the harness side of the ecu?

    Leave a comment:


  • whiltebeitel
    replied
    Use a multimeter and check the pin outs on the harness connector to the ECU. Seriously, that will show you what is screwed up. Stop wasting time randomly swapping parts and diagnose it. It'll take a couple of hours, but you will actually get somewhere with it.

    Leave a comment:


  • Edev
    replied
    Originally posted by dashboardmonkey
    Eric, I wish I could come help you but I am broke with no gas.:(
    If I can't get someone more local to come over and help, I'll pay for your gas to and from my house.

    I replaced the fusible link with a 50a like Luke did, and it still doesn't get a spark.

    WHAT THE FUCK

    Leave a comment:


  • dashboardmonkey
    replied
    Eric, I wish I could come help you but I am broke with no gas.:(

    Leave a comment:


  • Edev
    replied
    Josh came over and we tried out his main relay. Still a no go. I'm probably going to take it to a shop since I can't figure it out and the only people coming over and helping are Josh and Matt. Ugh.

    Leave a comment:


  • Edev
    replied
    Originally posted by gregslow318i
    my bet is a bad cps and or a bad coil. not a bad dme, most 173, 883...ect fail from fuel issues not spark
    Yeah we just put in a different dme and it didn't help. I'm now going to look to see if anyone has a cps. Coil is good, I've used 3 different ones from working cars.

    Leave a comment:


  • gregslow318i
    replied
    my bet is a bad cps and or a bad coil. not a bad dme, most 173, 883...ect fail from fuel issues not spark

    Leave a comment:


  • gregslow318i
    replied
    my bet is a bad cps and or a bad coil. not a bad dme, most 173, 883...ect fail from fuel issues not spark

    Leave a comment:


  • whiltebeitel
    replied
    Even a $5 HF multimeter will get you far enough to figure out most anything that could be bad, wiring wise.

    Leave a comment:


  • StereoInstaller1
    replied
    This right here is why you should never own 1 E30

    Leave a comment:


  • Edev
    replied
    Originally posted by whiltebeitel
    Last time this happened to me, I took out my multimeter, my Bentley, and checked everything I could from the pins to the ecu. It's not bad, and the troubleshooting guide will probably find a few things a miss. If everything checks out, try swapping in an ecu from a running M20 E30.
    I need to get a multimeter. I've called a few people who have m20s, so I'm hoping I'll be able to use one of their ECU's.

    Leave a comment:


  • whiltebeitel
    replied
    Last time this happened to me, I took out my multimeter, my Bentley, and checked everything I could from the pins to the ecu. It's not bad, and the troubleshooting guide will probably find a few things a miss. If everything checks out, try swapping in an ecu from a running M20 E30.

    Leave a comment:


  • Edev
    replied
    Alright so I'm not getting spark. It sparked once, but then after that it didn't do it again. I saw the spark and then I put my finger on the plug while it was attached to the wire. Nothing. Can anyone chime in? I'm starting to get really frustrated with this.

    Leave a comment:


  • Edev
    replied
    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
    Does that whole "spark test" thing make sense to you now? If you are using only the positive (like a screwdriver stuck in the boot) you hold it near the ground, so the spark jumps across,right?

    If you are using a spark plug, the body of the plug needs to be solidly grounded, then the spark jumps across the electrode.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I got it now. I'll go give those a try.

    Leave a comment:


  • StereoInstaller1
    replied
    Does that whole "spark test" thing make sense to you now? If you are using only the positive (like a screwdriver stuck in the boot) you hold it near the ground, so the spark jumps across,right?

    If you are using a spark plug, the body of the plug needs to be solidly grounded, then the spark jumps across the electrode.

    Leave a comment:

Working...