Fun Paint Time
Collapse
X
-
just my two cents, but i think it would be fun to just roll with the old color. at the least you have a funny story when people ask you "why?"Leave a comment:
-
-
Leave a comment:
-
Good result in the end and good that PPG helped out.
Looks nice and glossy too, better than the original job.Leave a comment:
-
Well, it's now been repainted. The original painter totally flaked-out and, after two months of dicking around, managed to be 1-1/2 hours late to get together and sand it...
I wrote him off, decided to bite the bullet and go to a real shop.
Emailed my sob story to several of them, and Haury's in Lake City responded very positively. Talked to me about what would be entailed and made me a really good deal on a respray.
Jeff Butler, at Haury's, was nothing but upfront and helpful. He recommended that I go after PPG for selling that f'd-up color. I did, and after some pushing, they agreed to pay for the color on a respray (not hardener or reducer). That came to over $500 for the 4qts required. Worked out pretty well for me, and I must say that PPG came out looking not too bad here.
I just went and picked up the car today, and it's beautiful!
Got it back in my garage and the assembly begins. I'm away for 6w starting the middle of June, but I'm hoping to have it roadworthy by the time I leave, although it probably won't be all together.
This pic has been darkened a bit because my phone washes out colors a lot. This is pretty much what it looks like now.
Leave a comment:
-
I'm travelling for work for the next 2w, and it's definitely not getting painted while I'm gone this time. I talked to the painter, and he insists it's a waste of money to primer the car. So what we're going to do is paint the sunroof without primer, and see how it goes. If it looks good, then we do it, if it doesn't then we prime, block, and spray.Leave a comment:
-
So what did you end up doing on this???? Just wondering if we need to start a Pink Northwest Crew...Leave a comment:
-
Has to be brought back to primer. Red is opaque, sadly. I had a very similar experience with some interior house painting I did... ended up laying down $150 of my own money to "fix" the problem. Turns out all I needed was grey primer ;)
Update this and let us know how it works out, man!Leave a comment:
-
This looks familar
My son showed me this thread, and couldn't quit laughing... Five years ago we bought an 87 is for the whopping sum of $80.00.. We towed it home, rebuilt the engine, trans and got ready to paint it. I being the ever resourceful dad (in other words, real cheap..) I figured we would paint it in the garage and he would have a fun little red IS. Went to our local paint store, Gimroys in Burien, and bought Omni base coat, clear coat in, you guessed it, zinnoberrot.. Got the car ready to paint, shot the primer sealer, wet sanded it, and by the time I was ready to shoot the car, it was getting dark outside. Mixed the basecoat, looked a little pink to me, but figured it would darken with the clear. Shot the base, had a couple of beers, and then shot the clear, then went to bed, it was late... Was woken up by my sixteen year old son shouting something about pink... I got up and walked out to the garage, and lo and behold, the car was pink, frickin barbie pink.... My son, who had helped rebuild the car and get it ready to paint wasn't real happy.. And then the, I told you we should have taken it to a shop started... I grabbed the paint and took it up to the paint store, and the guy mixed up a new small sample, it was the same frickin pink... One of the older guys came over and said, you need to use OMNI deluxe, because regular omni doesn't have all the pigments it takes to make some reds..... I brought in the trunk lid and we took a sample off the inside and matched it. After wet sanding the car down, I shot the new paint. Red is kinda see thru, so it still has a pink tinge to it... I figured this was a kids first car and probably wouldn't last more than a year or two before he got rid of it, but we still have it, and it still is a pretty good little car.
I asked him if he got ribbed about the color at school, he said he did at first, but after blowing all the hondas into the weeds, they quit ribbing him.



So a word of warning... Don't try and just paint over the pink......
Good luckLeave a comment:
-
As long as you use a reputable company you'll be fine. When I called the company I was going to use in the first place, I told the receptionist what happened and that I hoped she could send out their best crew. I watched the guy that scratched it remove both and he used one of those curved awl type steel tools, but when I watched the other guys install them they used nylon or plastic type tools with the various ends on them. And they took their time. The removal is a snap, you can do it yourself really.Leave a comment:
-
yeah, that does suck. Now I'm worried about getting my glass back in...Leave a comment:
-
Well, I wish I could post some up George, but here's the story. The guy that sprayed the car (Sonnyqm3) was moving his shop to another location, so I went ahead and brought the car back to my garage before it was wetsanded. After the car was back at my place for a couple of days I realized there was a scratch on the upper right rear corner of the back window--see photo. If you look close you can see the scratch starts at the window rubber and then cuts down to the primer. It's obvious from the location that the guy that had replaced my front windshield and re-installed my back window had obviously scratched my brand new paint and the whole roof and rear quarters would need to be resprayed. Long story short, the window guy was referred to me by Sonny cause he supposedly was good and also less expensive. I had to literally hunt this guy down at his home and force him with legal action before he and Sonny worked it out to have the respray done. Took the car back to the shop right before he was ready to move, had another company do the windshield and rear window installation, and it came out all good. Brought it back home and now that the weather's getting nice enough I'm taking it to a Rod & Customs shop next week to have it wetsanded so I can finish putting it back together.
Here's a link to more photos of the initial paint job. I must say I'm very happy with it. I'll post photos when it's all back together.
Sorry for the long explanation, not trying to jack the thread, but needed to get that off my chest after being so pissed for awhile. Lesson learned--use a professional when installing windows.Leave a comment:


fucyea!
Leave a comment: