89 e30 overheating problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 e30 overheating problem.

Ok so here is the deal. My car gets hotter than it should. I thought that it was because of there being an air bubble in the system. But I have bled the lines several times. I have the heater on full blast and when I let the car idle the car gets hot and the heater blows cold. But when I drive the car at high rpm's but not drive it hard and not put a heavy load on it, the heater blows hot and the engine temp goes back down to average running temp. This problem just recently started about 3 days ago. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this odd problem?

Check your fan clutch

Comment

I know the fan clutch is shot. But there has to be something else. I can't possibly imagine the fan clutch causing the problem expesually since it was out before this problem started.

Comment

Check the belt

Comment

All of the belts are tight. I believe it's either the thermostat, water pump, or radiator.

Comment

Originally posted by devin6519 View Post
            All of the belts are tight. I believe it's either the thermostat, water pump, or radiator.
            Tstat

Comment

Check all your belts, mainly the one that's turning your water pump. If your clutch fan is/was shot it would just overheat when your stationary. If you think it's water pump then change it. And while your in there do your timing belt.

out dated sig is out dated

Comment

Sounds like a head gasket to me. Check for the usual signs.
                "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

I had the same thing happen friday on my '90 when I serviced the coolant.Usually a couple of good blips of the throttle after the thermostat opens and it bleeds right out,but this time I turned the screw a little too far and it blew off (Scalding all my fingers on my left hand! ouch!) and getting a huge air bubble in it.It took a good hour after that to get the air bubble bled out of it. The heater would blow cold and the temp gauge would climb until I revved the crap out of it,then the heater would blow hot and the temp would come down,bleed and repeat over and over until it finally worked its way out.
                  Do you have a leak somewhere that has let air into the system? Did you have to add coolant when you first noticed the problem? I know mine has a very small leak at the overflow tank where the radiator overflow line runs down into the tank past the cap,but it doesnt cause air to get into the system.
                  Try bleeding it again,I always point it uphill and jack up the drivers side when I bleed mine,it seems to help.
                  1990 325is "the rat"/ E30 Warsteiner tribute racecar/1985 325e "faded Glory"/ 1968 Chevy II Nova "the baby"/ 2001 525i 5spd purchased May 2013 with 16k miles. Plus other junk that annoys the neighbors.

Comment

I am 95% positive that I fixed it. Someone told me today that it was the radiator. So I bought a bottle of the super radiator cleaner. So i drained my radiator and I ran the cleaner through my car. The first 15 miles the car ran hotter, but I let it sit for about 4 hours and I came back and started it up and drove it for another 15 miles and it drives at average running temp, and it idles just ever so slightly above half. I let the car idle for 10 minuets and it didn't go above halfway between the half and 3/4 mark on the coolant gauge. So if anyone is experiencing the problems I described earlier I would give that radiator cleaner a try.

Comment

I originally had a small hole on my upper radiator hose. So I replaced that, but I lost a lot of coolant so I had to add more which means I had to bleed it AGAIN. I had that coolant leak for almost a month and a half and I have to bleed it about 4 times in that time period. But after replacing that hose three days ago I could never get the system to bleed correctly (at least I thought it was because of a bleeding issue) But I found out it was more than a bleeding issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X