Who's good with M20's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's good with M20's?

I'm looking for a reputable person who has extensive knowledge of the M20 and would be willing to take a look at my car. It feels like it's losing power daily and the idle is all sorts of hokey. If anyone has the time to take a look at it, I would be glad to pay a decent price.

Also, I have a water leak in my passenger rear floor board that is simply driving me insane. Any insight into this would also be helpful.

PM me and I'll get back to you asap.

Thank you fellow R3vers

Water leak is likely the giant body plug under the carpet, it's about 6" in diameter. Mine leaked there once so I had to completely removed it, take off all the old sealant, repainted the area, put the plug back in with body seam sealer (from LDI in Tacoma) then sprayed truck bed liner over it from the bottom and lastly used a good sized piece of tar board and used a heat gun to mold it into place. Never leaked again, and probably won't.

Your power issue though, I have no idea without taking a look at things. If I was closer I would.

Comment

Originally posted by karlorado View Post
      Water leak is likely the giant body plug under the carpet, it's about 6" in diameter. Mine leaked there once so I had to completely removed it, take off all the old sealant, repainted the area, put the plug back in with body seam sealer (from LDI in Tacoma) then sprayed truck bed liner over it from the bottom and lastly used a good sized piece of tar board and used a heat gun to mold it into place. Never leaked again, and probably won't.

Your power issue though, I have no idea without taking a look at things. If I was closer I would.
      Thank you very much for the response. Sounds like the leak is quite the PITA. Is it possible that it's coming from the roof drains? I happened to find some water up towards the seat coushin as well. Is that similar to your experience?

As for the idle trouble, A local hand is what I'm looking for. I've learned that web diagnosis are rarely helpful (electrical/mechanical) unless they're fairly straightforward.

Thank you again :up:

Comment

It sounds like you have some vacuum leaks (finicky idle, loss of power). Have you done any recent freshening up in the engine bay, new gaskets, or seals?

Comment

Aye Jay!!

The easiest, and most cost effiecent thing you can do to check for idle issues is to remove your ICV and give it a good cleaning with some brake cleaner. Sometimes it gets gunked up, and the valve gets sticky. Remove it from its hoses, and spray the cleaner inside of the opening.
          -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
          91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
          08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
          04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
          Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
          Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by Justin_Tyme View Post
            Thank you very much for the response. Sounds like the leak is quite the PITA. Is it possible that it's coming from the roof drains? I happened to find some water up towards the seat coushin as well. Is that similar to your experience?

As for the idle trouble, A local hand is what I'm looking for. I've learned that web diagnosis are rarely helpful (electrical/mechanical) unless they're fairly straightforward.

Thank you again :up:
            My water was just on the floor where a rear passengers feet would be (floor is molded there). Cleaning the sunroof (and all other) drains should be done OFTEN and always a quick and easy way to make sure things are going ok. Resealing the plug isn't hard, just lots of steps but only takes 2 hours or so.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteD View Post
              It sounds like you have some vacuum leaks (finicky idle, loss of power). Have you done any recent freshening up in the engine bay, new gaskets, or seals?
              Yes, about 15k miles ago I adjusted the valves and replaced the valve cover gasket. About 5k later I replaced the ICV (NEW BMW OEM) due to it failing. Unfortunatly it happened before and after the work.

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
              Aye Jay!!

The easiest, and most cost effiecent thing you can do to check for idle issues is to remove your ICV and give it a good cleaning with some brake cleaner. Sometimes it gets gunked up, and the valve gets sticky. Remove it from its hoses, and spray the cleaner inside of the opening.
              Wassup B! Yeah, just replaced that. No luck. :(

Originally posted by karlorado View Post
              My water was just on the floor where a rear passengers feet would be (floor is molded there). Cleaning the sunroof (and all other) drains should be done OFTEN and always a quick and easy way to make sure things are going ok. Resealing the plug isn't hard, just lots of steps but only takes 2 hours or so.
              Ok, sounds good. I'll take a look at both and hope for the best. Thank you kindly sir.

Comment

Working...
              X