4 to 5 lug conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 to 5 lug conversion

Has anyone in the seattle area or PNW in general done a 4 to 5? I have been planning mine for some time and want to start procuring parts but wanted to talk to someone who had done it before or maybe see the finished product and how much work was involved/potential problems.

Any pics or guides you followed?

Much appreciated!
    '99 e46 323i - wrecked
    '87 e30 325iS - sold
    '91 e30 325i - sold
    '89 e30 M3 - fun car
    '09 e91 328i - sold
    '97 impreza - rally car - flipped
    '08 impreza - new rally car
    '01 996 tt - more fun car
    '82 Ford f350 - work truck

I'm 5 lug.

E36 M3 (1997-1999) front struts, spindles, control arms, brakes. Z3 complete trailing arm assembly (brakes, hubs, etc.)

I would buy new struts. You can use your E30 springs (they're the same as an E36 M3.) Prepare to spend about $1200 total.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Ergen motorsports makes a new 5 lug hub you can buy instead of buying M3 parts. Its about the same price if not cheaper.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
        Ergen motorsports makes a new 5 lug hub you can buy instead of buying M3 parts. Its about the same price if not cheaper.
        Real 5 lug is better than custom hubs and spacers/adapters, plus you get bigger brakes and more BBK options

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
          Real 5 lug is better than custom hubs and spacers/adapters, plus you get bigger brakes and more BBK options
          i can attest to this. i just got an E30 m3 and the stock braking power on it blows all my other 4lug breaks, even upgraded, away.
          Much wow
          I hate 4 doors

Comment

I could be totally wrong, bigger brakes may bolt onto the custom hubs but I won't be the one to figure it out.

Comment

wow 1200! thats it! with wheels and tires it will probably be more like 2200, if not 2400, but i think it will totally be worth it.

I am wary of using my original springs as i think they're original and worn.

How much work was install?

On a scale from Pain in the ass to Pain in the ass, but worth it, what would you rate the project?

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
              I'm 5 lug.

E36 M3 (1997-1999) front struts, spindles, control arms, brakes. Z3 complete trailing arm assembly (brakes, hubs, etc.)

I would buy new struts. You can use your E30 springs (they're the same as an E36 M3.) Prepare to spend about $1200 total.
              '99 e46 323i - wrecked
              '87 e30 325iS - sold
              '91 e30 325i - sold
              '89 e30 M3 - fun car
              '09 e91 328i - sold

Comment

I could be totally wrong, bigger brakes may bolt onto the custom hubs but I won't be the one to figure it out.
                Yea I think the Ergen ones allow the mounting of a Big Brake kit. They just came out with it and it seems to be just like a stock hub that fits onto the mount on your original struts, i have not contacted them for information yet.
                1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                  Yea I think the Ergen ones allow the mounting of a Big Brake kit. They just came out with it and it seems to be just like a stock hub that fits onto the mount on your original struts, i have not contacted them for information yet.
                  Hard to say what offset wheels you will need and what will work. I'd give them a year and see what happens

Originally posted by ebox86 View Post
                  wow 1200! thats it! with wheels and tires it will probably be more like 2200, if not 2400, but i think it will totally be worth it.

I am wary of using my original springs as i think they're original and worn.

How much work was install?

On a scale from Pain in the ass to Pain in the ass, but worth it, what would you rate the project?
                  I'd say the hardest part is going to be removing the rear subframe

Comment

Yea that does seem to be the most daunting part of this now that i think about it. Im going to have to borrow someone's garage when i do plan on doing this job.....

Hard to say what offset wheels you will need and what will work. I'd give them a year and see what happens

I'd say the hardest part is going to be removing the rear subframe
                    '99 e46 323i - wrecked
                    '87 e30 325iS - sold
                    '91 e30 325i - sold
                    '89 e30 M3 - fun car
                    '09 e91 328i - sold

Comment

Why do you want to go 5 lug? Do a little snooping through here to get an idea for what your up against.

out dated sig is out dated

Comment

Originally posted by AbeSonic View Post
                        Why do you want to go 5 lug? Do a little snooping through here to get an idea for what your up against.
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=133
                        Agreed, the stock E30 brakes are really good, I am running them with M50 and have little brake fade even when driving it like a madman

Comment

Alright i'm looking around. Sorry i didn't mean to be like that guy who doesn't know how to use the search, i have actually been researching this for a couple months now, I was trying to pick up a more local vibe from people who have taken the plunge and done it.

I did see a couple threads from that link that showed people's dislike for the conversion and some saying they would have rather stayed with 4. One guy saying that it made him more sluggish and sloppy, and i can understand that with the heavier wheels and all but what really concerns me is some people saying that you will rub at full lock even with spacers in the front. For a daily driver, that is somewhat of a concern.

I mean i think i am still down to do the convo, more research is still to be had, but if the cards fall in my favor and I do a swap sometime this year, i think it would all in all be worth it.

Originally posted by AbeSonic View Post
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=133
                          '99 e46 323i - wrecked
                          '87 e30 325iS - sold
                          '91 e30 325i - sold
                          '89 e30 M3 - fun car
                          '09 e91 328i - sold

Comment

Unless you plan to turbo an M50 or swap an S5X, stock brakes are good

Not sure the history of your car but id recommend refreshing brakes and upgrading the suspension first and once you feel you have too much power for the stock brakes then go 5 lug.

Comment

Well i feel as though if i'm gonna put money on the brakes/suspension, i might as well just put it toward a 5lug and get it out of the way... i dunno

Also found that the 96-99 M3 spindles are needed for proper caster/wheel orientation
                              '99 e46 323i - wrecked
                              '87 e30 325iS - sold
                              '91 e30 325i - sold
                              '89 e30 M3 - fun car
                              '09 e91 328i - sold

Comment

Working...
                              X