Windshield Wipers Failed.. HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield Wipers Failed.. HELP!!

So this morning I was at a stop light and all of the sudden my window wipers literally crossed and jammed. It seemed like the passenger side wiper slowed down and when the drivers side proceeded to go down it literally hopped over the passenger side and jammed like an X. I tried to shut the motor off with the switch but it only seemed to cause more tension and the drivers side bent. I had to get out and manually move the passenger side away from the driver and help them back down to their resting position.
    Anyone ever had this or similar issues. It's appreciate the help as it is Seattle and the weather called for fictional wipers :/

Ps the motor still seemed to work on the driver side at the time, but the passenger side almost seemed to quit working, which caused the cross over jam. Maybe is there a connecting rod between them or some wire issues causing the passenger side to malfunction? Thanks

Linkage broken.....motor took a shit......relay took a shit.......did you try using them again?
    Originally posted by bmwm42
    PNW vulture pm me for parts
    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

inspect the nut on the pass side wiper arm, where it connects onto the rotating splines. I have seen this nut come loose and do exactly what you are describing. I suspect you'll find this is your issue.
      otherwise, remove the pass side wiper arm and turn the wipers back on. we know the driver side still works(not failed motor), if your pass side splines are rotating back and forth then you know the wiper linkage is good also.

Comment

Originally posted by ethirtydavid View Post
        inspect the nut on the pass side wiper arm, where it connects onto the rotating splines. I have seen this nut come loose and do exactly what you are describing. I suspect you'll find this is your issue.
        otherwise, remove the pass side wiper arm and turn the wipers back on. we know the driver side still works(not failed motor), if your pass side splines are rotating back and forth then you know the wiper linkage is good also.
        Werd, this happened to me on my way to a meet one time on the freeway. Luckily, I had a 13mm wrench on me and was able to tighten that sucker down.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwm42 View Post
          Linkage broken.....motor took a shit......relay took a shit.......did you try using them again?
          Naw I checked and the motor still works bro. The passenger follows the driver until they are heading back down at which point it stops and the driver runs over it an bends :/ hoping ill have time to investigate today

Comment

Originally posted by ethirtydavid View Post
            Hey thanks bro, that's the info I was hoping for. I'll have time today to check it out. Luckily it hasn't rained since Friday because I've been moving and had no time to fix it. So your saying it could just be a loose nut then? Or maybe the linkage fell off. How so I access this nut, so I have to remove the fire wall cover in that area or is it something I can get to from the top of the wiper?

Comment

no broblem. ;)
              actually if this is the issue, it's simpler than that. lift this flap:

tighten the nut

(pass side.)

Comment

Working...
              X