Brake lights out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake lights out?

Hey guys kind of an issue with my brake lights, for some reason both of them are not working when I press the break. Is there any quick fix that you guys know what? I don't know if it's a fuse or something, but all of a sudden both brake lights don't work at all.
    1984 BMW 318i (maroon)
    Federal Way, WA / Monmouth, OR

Originally posted by Bailz84 View Post
    Hey guys kind of an issue with my brake lights, for some reason both of them are not working when I press the break. Is there any quick fix that you guys know what? I don't know if it's a fuse or something, but all of a sudden both brake lights don't work at all.
    Brake switch??
    -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
    91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
    08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
    04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
    Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
    Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Yeah I agree with spiD,
      there is a switch that is connected to your brake pedal and sometimes it fails.
      You should check fuse 22/23 first, since ya havent done that, although if it were a fuse you'd see other issues also. When that checks out then here is a good write-up about getting it all sorted.

Have all your brake lights stopped working all of a sudden? It's probably your brake pedal switch - replacement is a 30 minute job.

Comment

also, don't let those birds fool you- the work should all be done under the steering wheel.

I dont think they know what they're doing ..

Comment

I've got the panel under the steering wheel off. I'm having trouble trying to locate the brake light switch that was mentioned
          1984 BMW 318i (maroon)

Comment

It's a small black rectangular box. On my 87 it's located on a bracket just to the left of the steering column.

Comment

It's on the brake pedal, where it meets the top of the pedal box.
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Just because no one said it, have you tried the bulbs?

Comment

Pretty sure it's not the bulbs. The friend who noticed they were out said that they would flicker every now and again. Fuses looked ok, but I'm taking it into the shop to see if they have the brake light switch
                  1984 BMW 318i (maroon)

Comment

Working...
                  X