Dome light help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dome light help

Hey R3v people I don't usually ask for help but this time I don't want to take half of my car apart right before the e30 picnic. I hope some one can help.

Here is the issue:

My passenger side dome light doesn't work.

here is what I checked: The switch works since the driver side turns on and off when I press the passenger side switch!The dome light it self works I used some wires and connected it directly to the battery! The ground wires are working as well!
    All of the fuses look good!
    On the power wire I get about 8v instead of 12v (that is where I think the problem is)

Now what I need help with is figuring out how the wires run? I think they run from the A pillar dome light relay to the B pillar behind the dash and up to the roof! Can anyone confirm this?

Any help will be much appreciated!

if you plug it in to another side it works ok right? If not try this. If this work.

Its probably the door pin that turns it on and off. There roughly 5$ new.
    ( This was a problem on a car of mine in the past, and it fixed the issue. )

Comment

Originally posted by Obiwan-Canoli View Post
      if you plug it in to another side it works ok right? If not try this. If this work.

Its probably the door pin that turns it on and off. There roughly 5$ new.
      ( This was a problem on a car of mine in the past, and it fixed the issue. )
      The door pin works I installed a new one and the light works when I plug it in to a 12v battery. The positive wire is giving me only 8v instead of 12v. The power wire is not delivering all 12v. I need to know how the wiring runs!

Comment

are your sure the ground is getting to the bulb (even with 8v an incandescent bulb should glow if the circuit is complete), i had similar symptoms on mine (didnt check actual voltage) but drivers side worked with passenger side door jamb switch released and found no ground getting to the passenger lamp assembly ,traced to a broken /cut brown ground wire from jamb switch under door sill carpet alongside passenger seat. that is where the harness runs along the side of seat and up the B pillar. use a separate bulb and the wires you jumper-ed power from the battery and touch to ground side of bulb socket and see if it lights up (or ohm test the ground circuit if you have a dvom)
        Angus
        88 E30M3 X2
        89 325IX
        92 R100GS/PD
        :)

Comment

Working...
        X