S50B30 Head Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S50B30 Head Issue

So I started my S50 build for the first time today and noticed a major oil leak coming from the timing chain tensioner where a chunk is missing from the head. I don't know if this can be repaired (I hope it can). Any input is greatly appreciated as I am not the most experienced aluminum welder. I have another head laying around that I will swap in if I absolutely have to.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vabbster; 12-23-2013, 06:54 PM.

Mine leaked a bit when I first got mine running. Did you try retightening it down all the way? New crush washer?
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Yeah I torqued it to spec, if you check out the pics you can see where part of the head is broken and is leaking oil... I am thinking about JB welding it for a temporary fix so I can iron out any other kinks.

Comment

Totally didn't see the chunk missing. You might take it to someone who is good at welding aluminum...
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Yeah that is what I am thinking... Any suggestions on a reputable shop?

Comment

Just get another head, any M5x will work. They are cheap and to even have that one properly fixed (if that's even possible) you would have to remove it. And you should be doing the S50 valve retainers anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X