Parts Washers: Recommendations

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Gerta
    R3VLimited
    • Sep 2009
    • 2119

    #1

    Parts Washers: Recommendations

    R3V'ers:

    For those of you with experience ... first hand experience is preferred, I'm looking at restoring one or both of my 2002's. I have think that I might want to acquire a parts washer for the rusty bits that I want to package and save during the rebuilt. Some guidelines:

    1. Doing this out of my garage, not out of an industrial area.
    2. I want something that has reasonable cleaning power
    3. Something not too caustic that I cant easily dispose of the cleaning agent
    4. Something with a reasonable cost

    What do you fellers recommend? Is there a better solution than a harbor freight jobbie?

    Gerta
    Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.
  • djjerme
    R3V Elite
    • Sep 2010
    • 5082

    #2
    How big of pieces are you thinking of cleaning?

    I have access to a Hot Tank, which is nice, but for smaller parts unnecessary.

    For smaller bits of have a jar of "stuff." It's a cocktail of what ever was near the bench when I needed to clean some bolts/brackets..etc. So there some Simple Green, some White Vinegar, some Goof Off, and maybe some cheap Harbor Freight degreaser. If I'm not working on something, I usually am cleaning bits. But I also don't usually have a lot of free time to do it, so often I will just load the "Stuff" jar full of bits to be cleaned, and then either later that day or later that week - I'll fish the bits out, and wipe them off good as new!

    For larger parts that I don't want to throw in the big parts washer because they are heavy or I just don't want them in the back of the Saab - I have a big plastic tub that I use with a cheap pressure washer, some of the cheap HF degreaser in a spray bottle and/or Simple Green.

    HF has brass and steel brushes for cheap, and their degreaser gallons are rock bottom as well. If you just keep recycling the fluid, you can actually get a lot of cleaning done (that's what their ghetto parts washer does anyways!)

    I know it's probably not the answer you were wanting, but I am garage size challenged - so I tend to look for options that take up ZERO floor space.
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

    Comment

    • Gerta
      R3VLimited
      • Sep 2009
      • 2119

      #3
      That is some good advice there! Thanks! I'm really looking for something that I can soak the random nuts bolt small parts .. etc .. .not big stuff.

      I have a local HF so I'll take a gander there too!
      Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

      Comment

      • djjerme
        R3V Elite
        • Sep 2010
        • 5082

        #4
        Just make sure you get yourself some good Mason Jars with lids. You can clean a hell of a lot that way, and if they are the glass, you can shake 'em like a salt shaker with really helps I find.
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

        Comment

        • prasina2
          Advanced Member
          • Oct 2010
          • 117

          #5
          fb: @WerkstattEuropa

          Comment

          • djjerme
            R3V Elite
            • Sep 2010
            • 5082

            #6
            ^^^That too..

            But man, it's gotten expensive in recent years. Can you even still by the big 5 gallon buckets of it anymore?
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

            Comment

            • kid325e
              R3V OG
              • Sep 2007
              • 6422

              #7
              I have the one from HF - i'm sure you've seen it in my garage. Not the best but it's priced reasonably. I got a 5 gallon bucket of solvent from Motor Oil Supply, was about 50.00 or so. I love my HF one, even though I havn't used it in months.
              clutchCTRL!
              Move with a purpose.
              - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
              - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
              - 2000 323i AT
              2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

              Comment

              • Mlarsen
                R3V Elite
                • Feb 2010
                • 4082

                #8
                Just buy a Cuda.... duh.

                Comment

                • Gerta
                  R3VLimited
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 2119

                  #9
                  Originally posted by kid325e
                  I have the one from HF - i'm sure you've seen it in my garage. Not the best but it's priced reasonably. I got a 5 gallon bucket of solvent from Motor Oil Supply, was about 50.00 or so. I love my HF one, even though I havn't used it in months.
                  You around tonight? I need to get some steelies for the yellow '02. I have some lies to tell you too ...
                  Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

                  Comment

                  • Gerta
                    R3VLimited
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 2119

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mlarsen
                    Just buy a Cuda.... duh.
                    What is this "Cuda" you speak of? This better not be a Brad with lots of hand lotion type of parts cleaner.
                    Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

                    Comment

                    • kid325e
                      R3V OG
                      • Sep 2007
                      • 6422

                      #11
                      Steelies are long gone just installed with fresh firestones on a customers 76 2002

                      Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                      clutchCTRL!
                      Move with a purpose.
                      - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                      - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                      - 2000 323i AT
                      2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

                      Comment

                      • Gerta
                        R3VLimited
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 2119

                        #12
                        Damn! It's a true you snooze you lose deal!
                        Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

                        Comment

                        • Mlarsen
                          R3V Elite
                          • Feb 2010
                          • 4082

                          #13
                          The #1 brand of automatic parts washers in the USA. Call us to connect with a distributor in your area, or qualify your business to be a part of our national accounts program.

                          Comment

                          • BraveUlysses
                            No R3VLimiter
                            • Jun 2007
                            • 3781

                            #14
                            HF one looks pretty good

                            some threads about em

                            http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=274252

                            http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=200871

                            Comment

                            • Gerta
                              R3VLimited
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 2119

                              #15
                              Originally posted by BraveUlysses
                              Sweet. Thanks!
                              Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

                              Comment

                              Working...