Starting problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting problems.

Need help guys.Noticed my car was taking longer to turn over on a cold start. Last night go to start it, nothing. What happens is it clicks then a few seconds later it has a grinding sound. Like the starter is misaligned and grinding against the flywheel. Although it push started last night. Any ideas? My best answer is a new starter.

New starter. Hopefully it didn't eat up your flywheel teeth too bad.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Yeah I hope not. Wouldn't want to deal that. I'll have to get this pain done this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
        New starter. Hopefully it didn't eat up your flywheel teeth too bad.
        Starter was terribly bad. The starter itself was the cause of the noise. Got it all done. Not much swearing. And had to wait for parts after having to reorder a different starter. Some reason the starter they gave me at first was quite smaller regardless the bolts matched up. Went back and had them order an 86 starter instead of an 87 matched up and works great.

Comment

Sounds like your production date was right on the cusp of when they transitioned to the smaller starters. Glad you're mobile again!
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Usually, the solenoid dies on starters..

Unfortunately, the BMW design is not like the old GM design where you could swap the solenoid.
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Working...
            X