Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody in Washington with restored original plates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody in Washington with restored original plates?

Now that my car is turning 30 this November, I'm considering picking up some 1991 plates and registering the car with them.

My e30 isn't a daily but I certainly drive it a couple times a week. I also sometimes head down to Portland with it and other places within the state to pick up parts, especially when I want to test fit a part before purchasing.

Our state seems to be pretty lax on the requirement of occasional use of such a vehicle registered as a classic, and the 91 plate still looks so similar to the current Washington plates. Am I making a poor decision in registering my e30 with restored plates? If I were pulled over while, say, taking a road trip to the Olympic Peninsula, could that be pretty detrimental? I don't care so much about the benefit of not paying taxes - I just really like not being required to have a front plate and the novelty of the original plate being displayed.
    📸 @joyfilledpursuit
    📖 John 3:16-18

RCW 46.18.220

(4) A collector vehicle registered under this section may only be used for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and occasional pleasure driving.

I dont know if a road trip would be considered occasional pleasure driving. Personally I'd rather just have regular registration than deal with the limited use (and I have a few cars that qualify for collector plates). I also just don't run a front license plate. I have never been ticketed for it.
    Originally posted by Sonny
    I am a meme for our community.

Comment

I daily'd my e30 for 2 years with a restored plate before turboing.

The main difference between collector and restored is that the restored plate also includes "allows driving for testing purposes" in it where the collector plate does not.

I've never been pulled over with my restored plate but if I do, I'm just going to say "I just finished my valve adjustment and I wanted to take it for a cruise". Plus another bonus is it makes the plate and the car period correct especially since I bought an '88 tab for the plate.

Anyway it's a little on the fritz of being illegal but I pay my insurance as a daily driver not a collectable and I am sure its the least of the cops worries right now.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Originally posted by vtechnik View Post
        I daily'd my e30 for 2 years with a restored plate before turboing.

The main difference between collector and restored is that the restored plate also includes "allows driving for testing purposes" in it where the collector plate does not.

I've never been pulled over with my restored plate but if I do, I'm just going to say "I just finished my valve adjustment and I wanted to take it for a cruise". Plus another bonus is it makes the plate and the car period correct especially since I bought an '88 tab for the plate.

Anyway it's a little on the fritz of being illegal but I pay my insurance as a daily driver not a collectable and I am sure its the least of the cops worries right now.

https://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregist...prestored.html
        Yeah, the restored plate appears to be much more lax, and seems to align more with what I do. Thanks for your anecdotal experience.

"For testing purposes.
        *For the pleasure of others without compensation."

I'm always enjoying rides with the lady or buddies.
        Last edited by midnight_marauder; 06-15-2020, 05:43 PM.
        📸 @joyfilledpursuit
        📖 John 3:16-18

Comment

I would say what you're doing falls under collector plate use. I have an E30 track car that turned 30 this year and I just put CV plates on it -- I only drive it to and from the track on public roads though.

I was JUST debating tracking down some 1990 plates with the "Centennial Celebration" text but you're right, they look so similar that it would really only be plate nerds who see the "period correct" plate. I decided it wasn't worth the $$ and effort.
          '90 325is + S52

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X