Shipping a car in NC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping a car in NC...

Anyone had any experience with a company that would ship a car from Asheville to Raleigh? I bought a Range Rover non-running that I need shipped and I wanted to hear if anyone had a positive experience to share.

My original plan was to get it running on site (it's been parked for 5 years after the PO said it shut off on him randomly while driving). Sadly that is no longer an option for me and I need to get it to my workshop ASAP so I can take the e30 off the road for a while.

Thanks in advance.

Did you try anyone on FB?

Im wondering how we are gonna get a non running RR in the workshop.

COTM

Comment

Not anyone I know of. Could get pricey, but do you have AAA?
      sigpic

Comment

I got AAA, it only lets me tow 125 miles. That could help you get it to almost Winston-Salem.
        sigpic

Comment

rent a U-Haul trailer in Asheville, tow it back.
          '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

then he needs a car to tow with... 125 miles AAA for you and 125 miles AAA for Laura and you're covered...

Comment

Originally posted by e30rapidic View Post
              rent a U-Haul trailer in Asheville, tow it back.
              That is an idea but does a uhaul have a come-along to drag it onto the trailer? Not to mention a big truck to drag 2+ tons of it back.

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by N2MYE30 View Post
                That is an idea but does a uhaul have a come-along to drag it onto the trailer? Not to mention a big truck to drag 2+ tons of it back.
                No come-along which causes the issue. This was how I was going to do it but no luck. A rollback is going to run me around $500 and then there is the issue of getting it into the garage...

I do however refuse to give up on this. I've wanted one forever and the price was right so I'll figure it out.

Current thought: Get a rollback to take it to a storage unit in Winston-Salem. Get it running in that storage unit over the course of a weekend. Then drive it to the shop and tear it apart for a complete ground-up resto.

If this is the way I go, I'll post up what weekend and gladly provide beer and pizza for those who want to hang out, turn a wrench or keep me company.

Comment

Have you gotten any quotes from auto transport companies? Google "auto transport" and you'll get a ton of links. Probably be between 3 and 400 bucks to get it moved, would be my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxDriver86 View Post
                    If this is the way I go, I'll post up what weekend and gladly provide beer and pizza for those who want to hang out, turn a wrench or keep me company.
                    No olives! :up:

COTM

Comment

rented a Ford F250 diesel from them. Borrow or rent a tow dolly.
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

For $500 I had a shipper bring something from Kansas City to Atlanta. All Coasts Transport.
                        Im now E30less.
                        sigpic

Comment

Asheville to Raleigh is a four-hour drive in a car, so hopefully it shouldn't cost you more than $300, but I don't know if the shipping companies have minimum charges or whatever.

Comment

Should have mentioned that I have already contacted 6 auto transport companies. None of them will pick up the car in Asheville. Crazy, right? They all said I would have to ship the car to either Greenville, SC or Greensboro before they would pick it up.

The common argument is that they don't go out that way very often and it isn't worth the fuel to take the job.

Rollbacks I looked into are charging around $500. I never looked at Enterprise because when I used to work there the Rent-A-Truck division was corporate only. I'll give them a call today and get a quote. I could easily rent a trailer from Uhaul and come up with a winch of some sorts to get the behemoth out of the mud and onto the trailer.

Comment

Also, keep in mind that the uhaul will want a registered and insured car with plates... just sayin'.

Good luck with transporting that.
                              '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
                              NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
                              Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Working...
                              X