Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

just broke down in charleston, NC. wtf do i do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just broke down in charleston, NC. wtf do i do?

well my car just threw up all of it's coolant. it looks like it's spraying out on the lower hose going to the throttle body. it was near red for 10-15 min. then when it got into the red (no light on) i shut it off. is my engine ok?
    what do i do? it's past 7 and no shops are open. i need to tow it, however have no place to take it to. i'm at the double tree hilton right now and am needing to drive it home to indiana ASAP.
    HELp!!?!1

If I'm not mistaken, you can plug the hoses/fittings going to the throttle body, It's mostly for cold weather starting/running anyways. If you can't find plugs, or replace the hose, get yourself 2 vise-grip pliers, and crimp off the hoses going into and out of the throttle body. In any way you can, keep coolant from coming out of the blown hose/fitting. Fill your coolant reservoir up with 50/50 coolant or water to get you home, run the car until the temp gauge gets to the middle mark, and, this is important, make sure you crack the bleeder screw open on your thermostat housing at the front top of your engine. Leave it open until coolant starts to come out, then tighten the screw back up. Top off your coolant reservoir, and check for leaks. You should be good to go. If you don't bleed the air out of the system, it will overheat again. I would guess that your engine is OK, only time will tell. It sounds like you may have caught it soon enough to get you home. Make sure you bring a few bottles of water with you when you leave, just in case.
    -Steve-

Comment

Here's what you do:
      Hitch down to Asheville, kick it with some cute hippie chicks, make good use of their all natural anti anxiety medication, drink the tea, dont ask questions, listen to some good music with songs that last 20-30 minutes, then when you wake up assess your options
      And r3v.

Sucks dude, similar thing happened to me last summer, but shit worked out.
      I love that people ask stupid questions so I dont have.

Comment

Idk why I thought I was in north Carolina.
        Also I found out after working on it that it's the heater plate gasket.
        So you say block off the hoses, there's three going to the throttle body correct? One big hose out the front and two smaller hoses out the side.
        I can block off the smaller hoses and the bigger hose and this won't prevent flow to the block?

Comment

Only the small hoses have coolant iirc. But yes, plug or loop them. Two second fix if you can get to a hardware store.
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Really...? What's that bigger hose then?

Comment

Probably the breather hose from the valve cover.

Comment

Are you in Charleston, SC?

If so, I know a lot of folks there.Went to school there.
                /______\_o_/______\
                l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
                \ #___======___# /
                |__/-------------\__|

"Took me an hour to do this..."

took me like three seconds to copy/paste it- FOR SCIENCE!!

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Originally posted by DaButt View Post
                  Are you in Charleston, SC?

If so, I know a lot of folks there.Went to school there.
                  Yes. Not really sure why I put NC. I had a crazy day I just wasnt paying attention

Comment

are you still here in charleston?

and is your car fixed?

Comment

Im home in Indiana. I managed to fix the car by replacing the tb heater plate gasket. Amazingly the dealer had it in stock.
                      Got quite a bit of work to make this car reliable but I'm glad I made it home alright.

Comment

good to hear man.

sorry i took so long to reply (im a tech)

Comment

Nice, it's good to know that you can fix problems that pop up while on the road.
                          Congrats!
                          Yours truly,
                          Rich
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Rigmaster
                          you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Ditch that heater plate hosing. You can basically run the input to the output in a single hose.

I did this many, many moons ago in Kansas and it got through some really brutal winters without nary a problem. Either it was required for some more horrific winters than we will see or it was some sort of efficiency/economy thing.
                            Im now E30less.
                            sigpic

Comment

Aaaand next time you break down in Charleston, go to Big John's Bar. It's awesome.
                              Yours truly,
                              Rich
                              sigpic
                              Originally posted by Rigmaster
                              you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Working...
                              X