No announcement yet.

Austin??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone happen to have one of these I could borrow/rent for a couple weeks? I'm trying to do my upper oil pan gasket as soon as possible, but I'm not sure how many more times I'd need one in the future.

91 318is Members' Rides Thread

Comment

When I did my gasket on my m20 I didn't need any special tools or anything. I'm assuming you have an m42 or something of that sort. Couldn't be much different.

Comment

Yeah, M42. My understanding is the subframe blocks access to the rear of the upper pan. You've got to either lift the engine a couple inches, or drop the subframe. Either way, I'll need to support the engine without the motor mounts.

Comment

Yeah I just used a jack and a block of wood to lift the engine.

Comment

Where did you put the block of wood? The oil pans cover a lot of real estate. I'm afraid lifting from the bell housing on the transmission would put a lot of strain on the transmission mounts.

[Edit] I don't know the underside of the M20. I'm guessing your oil pan doesn't cover the whole block like on the M42.

Comment

I put it up against the passenger side engine mount arm.

Comment

Ocell. I just bought one of those for work $150 from matco. Well worth the money.

Comment

Lol wait a minute. Chris right?

Comment

I lifted the engine from the pan in the front, then put blocks in the spot of the motor mounts and rested the motor on those blocks to drop the pan... Granted I was also replacing the motor/trans mounts while I was at it.

Originally posted by flyboyx
                    how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
                    Originally posted by Northern
                    beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
                    Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
                    Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
                    '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
                    Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Originally posted by homegrone30 View Post
                      Lol wait a minute. Chris right?
                      That's me.

I was close to buying one, but I'm not sure if I'll need one again any time soon. If I find a need again I'll just buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
                        I lifted the engine from the pan in the front, then put blocks in the spot of the motor mounts and rested the motor on those blocks to drop the pan... Granted I was also replacing the motor/trans mounts while I was at it.
                        That's clever.

Comment

An autocross guy in San Antonio is lending me one. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Comment

If you plan on owning bmws its a good thing to have.

Comment

Harbor freight has them for $80

Comment

Anybody have any info on this? Kid8 gave me some info but was wondering if anyone had contacted him for more. Gonna go scope it tomorrow. http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/4949270686.html

Comment

Working...
                                X