Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Brooklyn

Hi guys,

Recently moved from Minnesota to Brooklyn for job-related reasons.

First off, I've got to say I'm used to the suburbs, 2 car garages, and working on my car in my driveway/garage. I love my E30 and I couldn't bring myself to sell it before moving to NYC, knowing good and well that owning a car in NYC is a hassle. I die a little inside every time I think of my E30 parked on the streets 24/7. The routine I have now is that I have to move my car once a week for street sweeping. Typically I'll run to grab groceries or something.

I'm used to being able to work on my car in my driveway/garage and it's killing me that I'm not able to. Change the oil, detail it, etc.

So my questions for the local community:

1. Is there any sort of garage parking system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and lets you work on your car in the garage, in Brooklyn? From my quick research, garages around me are going for $500/mo. Some of these are "valet" parking garages. I don't like others driving my car because it's low/has idiosyncrasies, so I'd prefer a garage that I can drive all the way into my spot myself.

2. Is there any good self-service car washes in Brooklyn? I like to wash/detail/take my time on my own car.

3. Are you able to put a cover over your car if it's parked on the street? I'm not sure of the legality of this. I've never seen it now that I think of it, but I came out to my car the other day and it was bird bombed big time.

4. Is there a hyperlocal E30 scene in Brooklyn? Meetups?

5. I also was doing autocross in Minnesota through the SCCA. How's the local NYR SCCA chapter? Where are races typically held?

6. What is a reputable BMW shop/mechanic in Brooklyn? What are your favorite shops in Brooklyn?

7. Any prokart courses in the area?

Thanks for all of the info in advance, hope to see some of you around!

1.) http://www.deluxecarstorage.com - about 25 min depending on what part of Brooklyn, easily accessible by train.

2.) Not in Brooklyn but definitely in Queens/LI that I've seen.

3.) If you could, plates would need to be visible but I wouldn't risk it.

4.) Yes. Keep checking the forum.

5.) Excellent - NYBMWCCA does auto-x at Nassau Colliseum not far from you.

6.) Drive a bit further to the best shop in the area, OMG Motorsports in Farmingdale - rumor is both techs that operate the shop are from Brooklyn.

7.) Not prokart but a Pole Position recently opened up in Farmingdale, NY - not far from OMG.
    - Frank
    '87 325ic M-Tech 1 For Sale!
    http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=407503
    Build Thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=229347

Comment

I'm always in Brooklyn w my e30. Whereabouts are u
      www.instagram.com/snwmble
      #snwmble

Current:
      '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
      '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
      '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
      '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
      '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
      '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
      '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
      '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by achtunge30 View Post
        1.) http://www.deluxecarstorage.com - about 25 min depending on what part of Brooklyn, easily accessible by train.

2.) Not in Brooklyn but definitely in Queens/LI that I've seen.

3.) If you could, plates would need to be visible but I wouldn't risk it.

4.) Yes. Keep checking the forum.

5.) Excellent - NYBMWCCA does auto-x at Nassau Colliseum not far from you.

6.) Drive a bit further to the best shop in the area, OMG Motorsports in Farmingdale - rumor is both techs that operate the shop are from Brooklyn.

7.) Not prokart but a Pole Position recently opened up in Farmingdale, NY - not far from OMG.
        Thanks for the info! Super helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
          I'm always in Brooklyn w my e30. Whereabouts are u
          Brooklyn Heights. I don't drive much right now. Once I get a garage I will probably drive more. Street parking is hard to come by. When I do have to move once a week, sometimes I'm driving around for an hour or more trying to find a new spot, so it's not worth it to move it during the rest of the week if I don't have to.

Comment

Also found this elsewhere while searching for self serve car washes in Brooklyn:

Kings Hwy & Utica Ave BROOKLYN (BP gas station)
            60th St & Ave P BROOKLYN (BP gas station)
            65th St & 8th Ave BROOKLYN (BP gas station)
            Smith St & W 9th St BROOKLYN (by Budget Rental Truck parking lot)
            The closest one to me is Smith St & W 9th St. I Google Streetviewed it and see it (only 2 stalls), hopefully it's still there. I'll probably head down there next week sometime.

EDIT: After more research, it's called Hamilton Car Care Center, 519 Smith Street Brooklyn, NY 11231.
            Last edited by mctenold; 08-23-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Our shop OMG Motorsports is in Farmingdale, NY 11735. You can check us out on facebook www.facebook.com/omgmotorsports or instagram @omg_motorsports

Most car washes are just a 2min pressure hose at a gas station. They usually have a vac as well.

Check out www.nybmwcca.org for local BMW autocross in Long Island. We are usually there with a few E30s.

Welcome to Brooklyn!
              My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Performance Aftermarket Parts & Accessories

Comment

Originally posted by mctenold View Post
                Hi guys,

Recently moved from Minnesota to Brooklyn for job-related reasons.

First off, I've got to say I'm used to the suburbs, 2 car garages, and working on my car in my driveway/garage. I love my E30 and I couldn't bring myself to sell it before moving to NYC, knowing good and well that owning a car in NYC is a hassle. I die a little inside every time I think of my E30 parked on the streets 24/7. The routine I have now is that I have to move my car once a week for street sweeping. Typically I'll run to grab groceries or something.

I'm used to being able to work on my car in my driveway/garage and it's killing me that I'm not able to. Change the oil, detail it, etc.

So my questions for the local community:

1. Is there any sort of garage parking system that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and lets you work on your car in the garage, in Brooklyn? From my quick research, garages around me are going for $500/mo. Some of these are "valet" parking garages. I don't like others driving my car because it's low/has idiosyncrasies, so I'd prefer a garage that I can drive all the way into my spot myself.

2. Is there any good self-service car washes in Brooklyn? I like to wash/detail/take my time on my own car.

3. Are you able to put a cover over your car if it's parked on the street? I'm not sure of the legality of this. I've never seen it now that I think of it, but I came out to my car the other day and it was bird bombed big time.

4. Is there a hyperlocal E30 scene in Brooklyn? Meetups?

5. I also was doing autocross in Minnesota through the SCCA. How's the local NYR SCCA chapter? Where are races typically held?

6. What is a reputable BMW shop/mechanic in Brooklyn? What are your favorite shops in Brooklyn?

7. Any prokart courses in the area?

Thanks for all of the info in advance, hope to see some of you around!

Come out tp fresh meadows park tonight, should be fun

Comment

Hi. I just moved out of Carroll Gardens, right around the corner from where you are now. I did have to street park my e30 for the last 2 years, but was just very careful about where I parked. To answer your questions:

1) No. All garage parking is really expensive. When a big storm was coming through I would park it at the garage on the corner of Hicks & Atlantic...about $20/day

2) There is a self service wash on Smith & 9th Street. That was my go-to place to wash the car...just make sure to bring quarters.

3) I think the car cover is illegal as it hides your plate, but I am not 100% sure

4) There are a nice number of e30s in BK...no huge meets or anything though

5) Check out autox4u.com for all events in the general area. BMWCCA ones are the best by far, you get 10+ runs. NYR, NNJR and MSNE are all good also. MSNE tends to get more runs than the SCCA events, but they are in NJ

6) For e30 centric work I took my car to Guten in South Orange. For general stuff I took the car to Holy Land auto repair on Union street btwn 4th/5th Ave. Their work is good enough, and they are honest. They will not try to rip you off. They seem to always be busy but if you befriend them they will always make room to get your job done quickly.

7) Karts are in NJ or Westchester, nothing in NYC that I know of.

Welcome to Brooklyn, hope to see your car around.
                  I like cats.

Comment

I'm in williamsburg and never see any of you guys lol welcome to brooklyn!
                    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Working...
                    X