No announcement yet.

Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for the 318 for a few years apparently. The 325iS models all came with LSD standard.

Comment

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
      Just for the 318 for a few years apparently. The 325iS models all came with LSD standard.
      Yes for the 318/s..one year production
      '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
      '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

How did you get an open diff in there? I don't think I've seen an "iS" model that didn't come with an LSD from factory
        Yeah. Lots of conflicting info on the internet. From what I've read, the e30 318is had an optional LSD. All e30 325 "is" models came standard with an LSD.

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
        It was a factory option back then. Some buyers optioned to get the LSD, some buyers didn't.
        Bingo!

Comment

^ True. I had previously assumed that 318is came with LSD standard, but apparently not.

Also Mr. Squid, I've been having woes with I assume is a "bad chip" from Turner, so definitely interested in seeing why all the cool kids have been munchin on your chips lately :-)

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Beautiful car and great thread! Keep up the good work. Its very refreshing to see a nicely cared for original car!

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
              ^ True. I had previously assumed that 318is came with LSD standard, but apparently not.

Also Mr. Squid, I've been having woes with I assume is a "bad chip" from Turner, so definitely interested in seeing why all the cool kids have been munchin on your chips lately :-)
              I've been happy with the chip so far. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the chip and recent issue with the wheels. :(

Originally posted by Bimmerguy91 View Post
              Beautiful car and great thread! Keep up the good work. Its very refreshing to see a nicely cared for original car!
              Thanks! :D

Cars and Coffe tomorrow morning! I haven't been in a while. Excited to see what shows up.

Comment

Parts Delivery!

The front lip, rear spoiler, and seat shocks came. Tomorrow I plan to drop off the lip and spoiler for paint. I should get them back sometime next week.

Seat Shocks

I purchased the seat shocks from a forum member (jeffnhiscars). See this thread for more info on the seat shocks: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=381242

I left work early and had an hour before picking up my daughter from school. So I started replacing the shocks on the driver seat. The mechanisms weren't terribly dirty, but there was some crud. Not terrible for 26 years. My main reason for replacing the seat shocks was the seat back wouldn't lock into position without a LOT of fiddling. And obviously the seat back wouldn't raise when I lifted the raise lever. Prior to cleaning:

After cleaning the mechanisms (with brake cleaner), the seats actually functioned quite well. The raise/lower works well enough. I decided to move forward with only replacing the seat back shocks because they were quite dead. After cleaning:

Old and new:

Installed (only one side pictured, but I replaced both):

I also took the opportunity to thoroughly clean and condition the seats. I also lubed a few key areas that won't get gummed up over time, but provide easy seat adjustment. Installed and fully functional:

The seat back works REALLY well now. I plan to do the passenger side seat tomorrow as it had the same symptoms as the driver seat.

Family Time

One last thing... I have an awesome wife. She bought these for me, our 3 year old daughter, and our son (arriving in June 2017). My daughter, who loves going to car shows as well as watching Wheeler Dealers, is calling the shirt her "car show shirt".

Last edited by mike.bmw; 02-02-2017, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Haha great update, kids creep me out but it seems like you've got a good herd (batch? Murder? Gang???)

Comment

Haha great update, kids creep me out but it seems like you've got a good herd (batch? Murder? Gang???)
                    Haha, Thanks!

I finished the passenger seat this morning. Woke up around 3:30AM and couldn't fall asleep again. By 4:15AM I was out in the garage working on the car. The passenger seat had the same symptoms as the driver seat. I cleaned and lubed the mechanisms. I replaced the seat back shocks, but left the original raise/lower shocks in place.

It's great to have fully functioning seats again, even if I rarely change the seat back position. Little jobs like this are very rewarding.

Comment

Just read through this.

Great update on a clean car.

If you decide to pass on the medium case 4.10 LSD PM me the seller info.
                      1991 318iC
                      1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
                        Just read through this.

Great update on a clean car.

If you decide to pass on the medium case 4.10 LSD PM me the seller info.
                        Will do.

Comment

I guess I've gone a little overboard on the thread updates lately. Oh well. Here's another with a question...

I dropped the parts off for paint this morning. I gave the car a thorough cleaning and decided to take to take the original spoiler off so I could clean underneath in preparation for installing the freshly painted spoiler.

All cleaned up:

Spoiler removed:

Dirk and grime removed. Claybar. Rubbing compound. Bug & Tar remover. Wax. I can't seem to get the spoiler outline to clean up. There are a few small sections I REALLY worked and go back to white paint, but it might take me a week to do the whole trunk. Any suggestions on what/how to clean this off?

Comment

Orbital and cutting compound (or maybe even just polishing compound) would probably work through that pretty quick.

Comment

Have you tried goof off? Not my first choice for painted surfaces, but can't hurt the paint too much if you dab it on a rag just to get rid of that, then clean and wax.

Comment

Orbital and cutting compound (or maybe even just polishing compound) would probably work through that pretty quick.
                                Originally posted by quanaman View Post
                                Have you tried goof off? Not my first choice for painted surfaces, but can't hurt the paint too much if you dab it on a rag just to get rid of that, then clean and wax.
                                I broke out the orbital. First pass with cutting foam pad and some medium cut compound. Second pass with a finishing pad and some finer stuff. Great success.

I reinstalled the original spoiler so I can drive around without holes in the trunk. Installing the new spoiler should be a super easy swap now.

Comment

Working...
                                X