View Single Post
Old 03-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #10
TheRob
Advanced Member

Even if, say I BAR it as an e36 swap rather than a Z3 for purely exhaust fit reasons?

Well, the thing is, they're going to ask for proof it's a California emission certified engine its a very recent rule that's been put into place and honestly I can't say what the ref is going to do if you have e36 stuff under there. You could always call and ask a ref, they're very helpful. I know an OBD2 e36 has 4 oxygen sensors, one in each exhaust manifold and two post-converter. Real OEM shows the Z3 has one 02 pre-cat and one 02 post cat. This is where you'll have issues if you're running an e36 mid pipe. If you look at the Z3 emission label it should tell you the number of 02's so you can verify what is shown on realoem.

You could, go to the junkyard and pull and emission label from a 328i and hope he doesn't verify the vin that's on the back of the cylinder head(if it's even there, its was on my m50) which he might not because he probably doesn't know its there. If he does and he looks it up in his system and sees that it's been smogged as a Z3 its whole life you might have issues.
TheRob is online now   Reply With Quote