Ignition key only turns one click

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition key only turns one click

So my battery was dead this morning (less than one year old) jumped it for my short drive to work. Figured I'd have to jump it again at the end of the day. Jumped it again to go to FedEx and was planning to take a longer drive after that. Parked at the top of the hill... And now the key only turns one click. This has nothing to do with the battery right? I tried another key and put the jump pack in instead of the battery and no dice. I'm guessing I need a new lock cylinder, but I'm just curious if there is something else to try as I wait for a tow in the rain.

Wiggle the steering wheel as you try to turn the key.

Comment

Hmm... I thought I wrote that it was not the steering lock. I could get the steering lock to engage and disengage by wiggling the wheel while turning the key. After thinking about it a bit more, I think the problem with the ignition probably caused the dead battery and not the other way around. I metered out my electrical system when I replaced the battery last time and there was no major drain. Does the tumbler have to come from the dealer to get the key to match or can I get one that works another way?

Comment

Yes, you did. I just could not think of anything else to try.

Comment

Try a bit of oil in the lock first. A little lube goes a long way.

Comment

The AAA guy, tried WD40 in the lock. Didn't work. When I was trying to pull the tumbler using the allen key last night I actually got it to turn to the on position, so I moved the car from where we got it off the flatbed. What a pain to get this thing on and off the truck with that front valence and GC coil overs. Anyway as soon as I shut the car off, the key jams again. I'm gonna have to try a sharpened paperclip tonight.

It seems to me that part #4 is bad, but I'm wondering if I should replace #3 while I'm at it... looks kind of tough since my steering column doesn't drop with bolts, but instead some kind of pin I'd have to break and replace. I'm hoping if I can get the lock out I can pull the plastic cover on top without dropping the steering column.

Comment

Pointy paper clip did not work, is the only other option drilling it out?

Comment

you can definitely get the ignition switch out / plastic covers without dropping the column. It's easier if you remove the lower cover on the instrument cluster first (with the two thumbscrews in the back). You might have to wiggle and pry a bit but it will come out.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  you can definitely get the ignition switch out / plastic covers without dropping the column. It's easier if you remove the lower cover on the instrument cluster first (with the two thumbscrews in the back). You might have to wiggle and pry a bit but it will come out.
                  So I took that panel out and wiggled and pried as much as I'm willing to with a bunch of 30 year old plastic, Unless taking the cluster out too give the dash some more flex I'm not sure how you could get that cover out without dropping the steering column.

Comment

Working...
                  X