No announcement yet.

Treehousing Racing CAB replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if i recall correctly, didn't someone did a strength comparison between the aul, arms and the steel arms?

if i am right i believe the ball joints where made out of harder material being longer lasting and having less play. and besides, unprung weight is some of the best weight to reduce.

feel free to correct me i'm going off the top of my head with 5 mins till work.

-cam
    Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Nope, you're on the right track Cam!

Yes, Unsprung weight is the best weight to remove. :up: However, ~3lbs per control arm isnt worth it for daily driven cars who dont see excessive track usage. Its not worth the $250/ea for the occasional auto-X.

Alu arms fatigue and wear out quicker than Steel. But their balljoints are a bit more durable like Stu said. Again, for a racer, it may be worth it... but most racers replace CA's after every 8-10 Club races. Gets very expensive very quick.

But, thats just my opinion, and we've all got one... just like we've all got assholes.

Ryan, I've been an ass. My apologies, but you're attitude is just childish like a little kid throwing a temper tantrum. Something I cant stand. But thats no excuse for my remarks. Sorry about that.
      Below the radar...

Comment

The built ball joints is one BIG point of the alum arms. Every BMW I have had to replace control arms on has been because of an ailing ball joint. Its the first stop for diagnosis of a front end problem on a car that is 3+ years old.

Replacing a control arm every 10 club races doesnt seem that bad to me. Seeing as how I do mostly auto-x that would me I would have to change them at a max every year. If I actually wore them out, which I havent been able to do yet other than the joints themselves.
        Im now E30less.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
          The built ball joints is one BIG point of the alum arms. Every BMW I have had to replace control arms on has been because of an ailing ball joint. Its the first stop for diagnosis of a front end problem on a car that is 3+ years old.

Replacing a control arm every 10 club races doesnt seem that bad to me. Seeing as how I do mostly auto-x that would me I would have to change them at a max every year. If I actually wore them out, which I havent been able to do yet other than the joints themselves.
          you know u can replace just the ball joints them self's, its a common misconception that you have to replace the whole arm when one ball joint fails.

basicly levager at a dealer to sell you more....ie making more, and besides the tech makes less money replacing an arm, then replacing the ball joint it self....and well dealers don;t want to pay out to much wages.
          Cam .W '91 325is

Comment

But is it that much more economical to buy and press in a built set of ball joints than to just buy another arm?
            Im now E30less.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Stewart
              But is it that much more economical to buy and press in a built set of ball joints than to just buy another arm?
              well, my price on oem Lemforder, steel control arm is about 169.54 (list 225.00) cdn

and
              my price on the again oem lemforder

inner ball joint is 33.44 (list 59.65)
              outer ball joint 35.59 (list 64.82)

and since i can press it in my self, i just saved around 100 cdn.

my price varies though...depending on how much i bought from the supplier the previous month

remeber these are canadian prices, and i found them quick :P

and just for kicks aluminum m3 arms

Genuine 562.48 (list 712.00)
              Heyd [oem?] 355.32 (list 760.03)

suspringly they have this alll in stock next day deliviery

again all cdn prices....if u want a part let me know and i can get it for u

-cam
              Cam .W '91 325is

Comment

you guys bitch about the cost of aluminum arms.. ix arms cost just as much, but they don't weigh any less. they do come with beefier inner ball joints at least (mine are the originals with 158k, still no play..)
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                  you guys bitch about the cost of aluminum arms.. ix arms cost just as much, but they don't weigh any less. they do come with beefier inner ball joints at least (mine are the originals with 158k, still no play..)
                  only because u are special!
                  Cam .W '91 325is

Comment

Benefit Analysis

Al Arms
                    - Pro's
                    Stronger ball joints
                    Lighter
                    Bling Factor

- Con's
                    Cost ~$130
                    Ball joints are not replaceable
                    Most weight is not unsprung
                    They are weaker than Steel

Steel Arms
                    - Pro's
                    Replaceable Ball Joints
                    Cost ~$70
                    They are stronger than AL

- Con's
                    Heavier

Make your own decisions, I vote for Steel.

07 335xi Sport
                    00 S2k
                    01 A4 1.8t-Sold
                    88 M3-Sold
                    91 325iC-Totaled
                    89 325iS - Sold
                    87 325-Totaled

Comment

edit: methinks I could have been right the first time. Sorry guys, but hard to visualize exactly which way it was moving if its been like 6 months. car is on jack right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X