M20 AFM to M30 AFM with 19lb injector questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
    Noobs, you can mount an M20 airbox to an M30 AFM. Just get creative.

BTW I didn't, I have a cone + heatshield. But I know several local guys who have done it.
    Precisely, I think it requires drilling two or three holes to properly fit the M30 AFM on an M20 airbox, that's what I'm doing.

Way better than a cone + heatshield.

Just be sure to use some kind of RTV sealant as a gasket when you mount the AFM to the airbox.
    R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Nice and would you need to have the 19lb injectors?

Comment

yes you need 19lb injectors

Comment

what about 17lb injectors?

Comment

the reason a lot of people choose the 19lb injectors is because that was the size injector origionslly paired with the m30 AFM.
            Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
            Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Wow 7 rwhp, might have to actually look into this mod now.
              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by E30_fiend View Post
                the reason a lot of people choose the 19lb injectors is because that was the size injector origionslly paired with the m30 AFM.
                Good to know. I just had my 17s rebuilt, so I'll probably stick with them. I may not even bother with the m30 afm swap unless I can find an 027 one for good price.

Comment

not trying takeover the thread but, i just used an m30 AFM with stock injectors and the car felt really good, but the check engine light kept on coming on with fault code 1222.I live at pretty high elevation so i'm not sure if its running lean. i drove about 3-4 miles with it and the check engine light came on repeatedly so i just swapped the old one back in. did i just need to drive alot more?

7speedshop.com

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                    Wow 7 rwhp, might have to actually look into this mod now.
                    That's actually combined with the stroker kit.

You will probably see 2-3rwhp gains
                    R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

We have a ghetto or budget stroker in our 30, with a cam upgrade (previous owner told us, ill check today). Inititally the car was running so rich that our HC emission was 7x the required amount in mass. After changing the O2 sensor, we decided to mount the m30 027 serial number AFM. The car didnt like it at all and ran terrible. Check engine came on and it was just running wicked lean. The next day we install rebuilt 19lb mustang injectors and after a 10 min adjustment period the car idled much smoother and didnt seem to run out of power at the top end as easily. Before we weren't able to chirp the tires between 2nd and 3rd but after this mod it is quite easy.

chris

Comment

Well there's a good reason your motor was running lean pocket penguins, you were bringing in more air with the same amount of fuel. So, more air than stock + the same amount fuel= lean condition. Now more air than stock with a good ratio of more fuel= and moderate, slightly rich condition. I passed emissions with the 19lb injectors and my M30 AFM. There is no problem with it.

And kamotors,

Yes you needed to give your car more time to adapt. When I did mine I installed it and mounted it and then I let my car idle for 20 minutes. After that I drove for about 30 minutes letting it get used to WOT and stop and go as well as smooth acceleration.

Your car just needed more time to adapt. But as long as you have the M30 AFM and the 19lb injectors you should be fine.

Taylor
                        Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
                        Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Well there's a good reason your motor was running lean pocket penguins, you were bringing in more air with the same amount of fuel. So, more air than stock + the same amount fuel= lean condition. Now more air than stock with a good ratio of more fuel= and moderate, slightly rich condition. I passed emissions with the 19lb injectors and my M30 AFM. There is no problem with it.

And kamotors,

Yes you needed to give your car more time to adapt. When I did mine I installed it and mounted it and then I let my car idle for 20 minutes. After that I drove for about 30 minutes letting it get used to WOT and stop and go as well as smooth acceleration.

Your car just needed more time to adapt. But as long as you have the M30 AFM and the 19lb injectors you should be fine.

Taylor
                          yup exactly why I upgraded the injectors

Comment

Yeah, I passed emissions with 17.5lb injectors, M30 AFM, and the MarkD chip. Cat had like 375,000km (232,900mi) on it too, lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
                              Yeah, I passed emissions with 17.5lb injectors, M30 AFM, and the MarkD chip. Cat had like 375,000km (232,900mi) on it too, lmao.
                              Good to know i can run an m30 afm with my 17lb'ers then. I'll try and track one down.

Comment

it's more like 19# injectors are cheap and plentiful since they came on like a billion Fords from the 80's through present day. I think M50 injectors are a better size for a relatively stock M20, but 19#s were too small for my stroker on both motronic and standalone - motronic ran a little lean, MS ran right but at 90%+ duty cycle. $0.02
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X