No announcement yet.

coupe or sedan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dragging this thread back up, curious if anyone has fit or attempted to fit the VSR Roll bar to a 4dr. Any input on what would hinder the install? I was talking with FredK about it at Bav Auto and thought maybe getting it into the car through the smaller sedan doors would be tough. Input is greatly appreciated.

Ben
    Originally posted by BillBrasky
    E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
    1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
    1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
    1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
    2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

i called autopower once to ask about there roll bar he said its the same for the 2 and 4 door i think you may need to do some trimming but that was it
      :borg:

Comment

I bought a sedan for the sole reason that i can fit my race wheels in the back seat with racing buckets, it was definitely worth it. You should come out to the SCCA autoX at cal speedway later this month.

Comment

yeah for sure !! when is it i would love to check it out!
          :borg:

Comment

I've pondered the idea of a cage in a 4 door. Seems like there's not really any good way to do it to retain the rear seats. Anyone done anything like this? I know you'd need to pad the bars like hell or it might actually make it more dangerous in an accident, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
              I've pondered the idea of a cage in a 4 door. Seems like there's not really any good way to do it to retain the rear seats. Anyone done anything like this? I know you'd need to pad the bars like hell or it might actually make it more dangerous in an accident, but still.
              NO NO NO NO NO

You cannot have any kind of roll bar/cage and retain use of the back seat for anything other than cargo.

No amount of padding will change that.

And for the record, people, all non convertible, non touring e30s are SEDANS. There are no e30 Coupes. Just 2 door and 4 door sedans.
              Current Cars
              2014 M235i
              2009 R56 Cooper S
              1998 M3
              1997 M3

Comment

Elaborate.

Comment

on what, the inability to use the rear seat for passengers?

Do some research on SFI rated roll cage padding and how it works with HELMETED heads. Bars in the passenger cabin are will be like a pile driver (literally) to the melon in case of an accident.

Or if you are talking about sedan v. coupe, it is based on the body style of the car. True Coupes have sweeping rear window/c-pillars. Look at say the e36 two door or the e24 6 er.

e30 2 doors have the same upright notchy box up top as the 4 door. The only thing different on a 2 door from a 4 door is, in fact, the doors. Exact same wheelbase, and all other parts are the same - fenders, hood, trunk, sunroof, front and rear glass . . .
                  Current Cars
                  2014 M235i
                  2009 R56 Cooper S
                  1998 M3
                  1997 M3

Comment

gee, I wonder where the term "sport sedan" came from? ;)
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

hey in a 4 door sedan could you not run the cage tight up against the headliner and follow the rear pillars down then through the parcel tray??? Then you dont have to worry bout clearences for heads in an accident. Then you can still utilize the back seat.

Comment

why even bother. if you have a 4 door with a cage, chances are nobody is going to sit in the back seat. hell, nobody sits in my back seat anyway. it's tiny back there.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by e30 335i View Post
                          hey in a 4 door sedan could you not run the cage tight up against the headliner and follow the rear pillars down then through the parcel tray??? Then you dont have to worry bout clearences for heads in an accident. Then you can still utilize the back seat.
                          That's what I was thinking.

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          why even bother. if you have a 4 door with a cage, chances are nobody is going to sit in the back seat. hell, nobody sits in my back seat anyway. it's tiny back there.
                          I get that cages are generally for stripped track cars, just putting the idea out there for a non-intrusive cage. If you don't have intrusive rear door bars and people can get in and out through the rear doors, I don't see why people wouldn't sit back there. A non-intrusive cage could still add a good deal of rigidity (and possibly safety), and I like being able to haul people around when it's called for. The E30 is my only car, it's not the roomiest thing around but it can seat 4 when you want it to. I'd like to keep it that way, and have the added rigidity as a plus.

Having recently ridden in a coupe with good bushings and struts and H&R race (as opposed to my stock worn out crap), it actually seems like the E30 is decently rigid, but you can never have too much. Call me a chassis freak.

Comment

Last night I attempted to fit a newly acquired VSR Roll Bar to my '91 4dr. 318i and ran into an issue. The rear plates that are supposed to bolt to the wheel arches are way off position, as in too far inward. Unless the rear wheel arches are different, I can't figure out why the rear plates don't sit right.

Thoughts?
                            Originally posted by BillBrasky
                            E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
                            1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
                            1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
                            1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
                            2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

My thought is that your bar is bent in some way. If its new and you got it from VSR, I'd call them and get their input - they would know best.

I put a Kirk bar in my 4 door late model 325i - it fit perfectly.
                              Current Cars
                              2014 M235i
                              2009 R56 Cooper S
                              1998 M3
                              1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                                That's what I was thinking.

I get that cages are generally for stripped track cars, just putting the idea out there for a non-intrusive cage. If you don't have intrusive rear door bars and people can get in and out through the rear doors, I don't see why people wouldn't sit back there. A non-intrusive cage could still add a good deal of rigidity (and possibly safety), and I like being able to haul people around when it's called for. The E30 is my only car, it's not the roomiest thing around but it can seat 4 when you want it to. I'd like to keep it that way, and have the added rigidity as a plus.

Having recently ridden in a coupe with good bushings and struts and H&R race (as opposed to my stock worn out crap), it actually seems like the E30 is decently rigid, but you can never have too much. Call me a chassis freak.
                                Sit as a passenger in your car. Have someone else drive, have them slam the brakes, swerve around, not telling you. Watch how far your head moves. Look at how close those bars sit compared to the semi-padded parts of your car.

Now, buy a cantelope and throw that at the ground. That's what your head does.

-Charlie
                                Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                                '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                                FYYFF

Comment

Working...
                                X