Best simple mods to the m20?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best simple mods to the m20?

Hi there, I have just jumped off the 4 cylinder m42 boat and got on a 6cyl m20.

one thing id like to know are the ins and outs to modifying such things as air intake, chips, and any simple modifacation that can be done to get better power out of it.

For instance, would a cold air intake fed through a grill in the left highbeam, added with a heat shield be better than stock airbox? Or maybe an airbox from some other engine do better?

ECU chips? how much and what kind of gains? I had a JC in my m42...

Cams? worth the power output for a stock engine?

I am just getting all the maintenance up to snuff right now, and just want to get all systems go for some wheel spinning power.

Is there a checklist or something like a Mod list available for the M20?
    its a 1988 325i Euro imported Touring by the way.

5speed and 3.73 LSD swap is the first order of business...

Anyways what im trying to say is im lost when it comes to this engine, and i just want to dial it out, any bit of info you can tell me about this engine is invaluable and is sucked up like a sponge by my brain. Even if its to tell me that my car likes 20w-50 oil...i dont know if it does or not, but anything is helpfull...thanks

ryan

Chip, header, cai. Do they do anything? No. :)

sorry for the negatons but the crab is really well tuned out the box.
    Any type of "simple mods" isn't going to do much but take your money back to
    Davy johns locker.

Keep it in top working order. Ebay header can't hurt and it's ultra cheap.
    Chip. It's like grand tourism! Buy the nitrous and weight reduction. Max out
    your stats and HPz. j/k

Comment

A tune up.
      BEERTECH

Comment

^+ markd chip and 19lb injectors.
        sigpic
        New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
        %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Ive heard good things about markd chips and also long tube headers

Comment

maintenance
            chip
            exhaust
            4.10LSD

that's about it for light mods that are worth doing. the miller maf kit will free up some power if you don't mind spending a little more money.

a stock engine isn't drawing enough air for the factory airbox to be a restriction, either. when you get to about 200hp then it will make a difference.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i was thinking a modified or different airbox from another engine was gonna give it more low end torque....

i do have plans for a 5speed swap and a Jim Conforti chip, just cause i was happy with it in my M42

Comment

4.10LSD for sure, change your timing belt, tune up, ignition wires, CAI, chip, and exhaust. you should be happy with that. if it was me, i'd keep the m42 :up:
                sigpic

Comment

I dont know if you would consider this a "simple" mod... but get yourself a good seta bottom end, and slap it on. More power gain, for the same price as all of those mods mentioned above put together. Then do the chip, injectors, and cone filter when money allows. I used to have a 4.1LSD in my old e30... i love it, except for when i was on the highway. Dont remember exactly, but at over 75mph you are reving at ~3500rpm in 5th... i didnt like that one bit.

Dave
                  E30 Dinan Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by 16v of E30 View Post
                    i was thinking a modified or different airbox from another engine was gonna give it more low end torque....

i do have plans for a 5speed swap and a Jim Conforti chip, just cause i was happy with it in my M42
                    on a stock engine? no.

when you're making about 200hp the gains are mostly past 3500rpm
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Jim Conforti chip is a good bet, but if you look around this forum the favorite seems to be the chip made by Mark D'Sylva. Check out http://www.dsylva-tech.ca/ . Everyone seems to like these chips, especially the one that requires you put 19lbs injectors in (i engine only).

I know nothing about the chip personally because I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail... any day now.
                      West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
                      ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

Does anybody know what the power difference is with the mark D chip from the 14# injector chip to the 19# injector chip?

I would be curious if it is worthwhile

Comment

I highly recommend getting all your maintenance up to date.
                          then worry about mods.
                          it can cost a lot
                          all vacuum lines
                          water pump
                          oil change
                          new oil filter
                          coolant flush
                          new air filter
                          new fuel filter
                          new rubber fuel lines to the fuel pressure regulator and a new fuel line to the rear of the fuel rail.

new valve cover gasket with new rocker plugs and valve adjustment and spray the valve cover with a high temp paint for a little bling

replace the clutch fan with an electric fan
                          new radiator hose lower and upper
                          new thermostat
                          new cam shaft seal
                          new crank shaft seal
                          new rear main seal
                          new exhaust heat shield
                          new intake boot

new timing belt with a tensioner and spring

here are a few m20 mods and ideas

-
                          Project
                          Parts for Sale
                          Feedback
                          YouTube Channel

Comment

I recently bought a 1990 325i and the previous owner told me he upgraded "the chip"

How can I tell what he installed and if I should be running a higher octane fuel etc?

Thanks

Comment

open the ecu up and see if there is a chip that doesn't look like it belongs. report back with any markings, or better take a pic.

Comment

Working...
                              X