E30 external fuel pump connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 external fuel pump connections

Got an 86 325E. Fuel system has an in-tank fuel transfer pump. It has the main fuel pump external near the rear driver side wheel well. This external pump is making some funny noises and sounds like it's time to replace. My question is what are the two circular, smaller than fist size, metal cans on either side of the main fuel pump? These are located right there on the in and out side of the main fuel pump under the car. I have tried to search for pics of this setup and looked through the Bentley Manual for a clue on these cans without any luck. Are these check valves - one for the transfer and one for the main fuel pump? These cans look rather old and nasty and was thinking to replace them as well.
    86 325e chumpracer, 87 325e RallyXer, 12 Boss 302LS, 97 Miata

fuel filter yea i'd replace them since your doing the pump
    Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
    Bimmerbuddies LLC
    717-388-1256
    2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
    bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Nope. They are not the fuel filters. I did change the fuel filter on this car and it is located up near the steering column. These metal cans, and there is one on either side of the fuel pump, are about 1/4 the size of the fuel filter. Any other guesses? BMW 1986 325E, automatic, 4 door.

Comment

up by the steering column is the evap canister, but the filter should be back by the drivers side rear where the pump is, as well as an accumulator just an empy little can in the line, no 1 way valve or anything just straight through.
        Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
        Bimmerbuddies LLC
        717-388-1256
        2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
        bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

Seriously, the fuel filter on the 86 is up by the fire wall near the steering column. I replaced it. I have an 87, also, and yes....the filter is near the fuel pump by the rear driver wheel. But not on this 86. So, maybe I have two accumulators located near the fuel pump? These cans are 1/4 the size of the pump. I guess I need to take a picture.

Comment

These things right? I've been wondering what they are on my 86 e as well. Same thing as yours, filter is up front.

sigpic

Comment

One of those mystery parts is a pulse damper which basically evens out the pressure from the pump and the other is ??? I got rid of both of these on my car and haven't noticed anything different.

Comment

Originally posted by E30Gus View Post
                One of those mystery parts is a pulse damper which basically evens out the pressure from the pump and the other is ??? I got rid of both of these on my car and haven't noticed anything different.

...and i paid 42.00 for the fuel pulse damper, and installed it.
                sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

Here is a picture of my 86 external fuel pump area is attached. My question is what A and B are, called, part number? Some have indicated they can be ignored. Comments?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Thanks. Good info. So the input metal can is no longer available. I have read a few other forums indicating that removal of A and B has not affected performance. I am replacing the fuel pump with a Walbro from trepreformance. I am also adding to the system a fuel accumulator I purchased from http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=ireland&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=67530 4591&Count2=592445015&ProductID=471&Target=product s.asp:)

Comment

That's it! I need to get one of those. I wonder how difficult it would be to make your own???? Hmm.......

Comment

Anybody have any pics of the accumulator from IE? Where does it sit?
                          $55 is a great price for that kind of insurance.
                          sigpic

Comment

I couldn't find any pics but I think it looks like the one for the E46's. Also there are people doing their own mod using gas cans and such.
                            Of course $55, probably better to fork it over so you know what you're getting. Def a must if you track cause it sux to come out of a turn and your 20 bogs down.

Comment

Here is a picture of the item I purchased as an E30 accumulator. However, it did not solve our problem with fuel starvation in this 1986 E30. We are currently in the process of switching the fuel tank to a '91 tank, changing the fuel delivery to a single in tank pump. A number of E30 guys have indicated that the older E30s, older than 1988, dual fuel pump systems, are a problem. Yep, both our pumps worked just fine and we get the fuel starvation after things warm up in the car. So, initial few laps have no starvation then we get starvation from that point on. We tried extending the intank pumps suck-in point with a fuel line deeper into the tank but had no luck. To recap our discoveries:

1986 E30, removed items A and B shown earlier in this thread, verified operational in tank pump, replaced main exterior fuel pump with Walbro, added fuel accumulator in the system in between tank delivery and tank return. STILL HAD FUEL STARVATION.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X