• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side shot

Still haven’t cleaned it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I had all my trim powdercoated black. If you just remove the trim I think it would like strange, plus there are a ton of clips under there so you'd have a bunch of holes visible.
      Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
        I had all my trim powdercoated black. If you just remove the trim I think it would like strange, plus there are a ton of clips under there so you'd have a bunch of holes visible.
        Yeah I say go for black.
        sigpic

Comment

Never thought to do black. That would look nice! Any of you guys having any issues with the top leaking? Mine leaks where the top touches the window. Trying to figure out how to stopping it.

Comment

Actually IIRC the Bentley manual goes through most of the alignment for a convertible. Basically with the door panels off you can adjust where the top of the window sits, it should sit in slightly under the seal. Secondly, you can actually adjust the top using shims etc. but that's more involved.

Finally you can replace the rubber top seals, they are still available but expensive. However, I replaced the front seal on mine and it did not stop my leak at the front corner where the window, top and front windshield all meet. That seal was like $200 and didn't work, but $.50 in weather seal did.
            Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

Originally posted by Mwishlist View Post
              Actually IIRC the Bentley manual goes through most of the alignment for a convertible. Basically with the door panels off you can adjust where the top of the window sits, it should sit in slightly under the seal. Secondly, you can actually adjust the top using shims etc. but that's more involved.

Finally you can replace the rubber top seals, they are still available but expensive. However, I replaced the front seal on mine and it did not stop my leak at the front corner where the window, top and front windshield all meet. That seal was like $200 and didn't work, but $.50 in weather seal did.

That’s exactly where mine leaks to. Was hoping I could find a cheap trick or rubber seal. From everyone I’ve talked to, there was no fix.

Comment

There's actually a small spaghetti shaped rubber piece thats about 2" long and sits in the junction of the top, A pillar and window. Mine came off and leaks then started to drip there. If I ever put my top up again I'll glue it back
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieVu View Post
                  That’s exactly where mine leaks to. Was hoping I could find a cheap trick or rubber seal. From everyone I’ve talked to, there was no fix.

I think if I could have replaced the seals on the corners that fit into the top of the windshield, it would have stopped the leak but I think those are NLA now. So I took weather stripping and put a small piece on the door, another on the front corner of the new seal on the top and a third on the rubber seal on the windshield and it totally stopped my leak. It didn't look great, but you could only see it with the doors open. A whole roll costs next to nothing so you can replace it if pieces start to come loose, but I ran mine like that for almost a year of daily driving and it was fine. Now I have the luxury of not driving it in the rain.

But basically, look where all three pieces meet, and put some weather stripping there and good luck!

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                  There's actually a small spaghetti shaped rubber piece thats about 2" long and sits in the junction of the top, A pillar and window. Mine came off and leaks then started to drip there. If I ever put my top up again I'll glue it back
                  What is this spaghetti piece of which you speak?

Comment

What do folks recommend for cleaning the lid one the vinyl is removed? I'm using Goof Gone (and Goof Off) and its taking a long time.

Comment

Id say don't do this unless you have a ton of time. The 30 year old vinyl adhesive is nasty stuff that doesn't want to come off. I got about half it off soaking it with Goo Gone and a lightly agitating with a tooth brush. Another 20% went with a heavy rub of WD-40. That last bit is stuck on there good. I'm using my heat gun to soften the and rub out the rest.

The only thing I didn't try is Rapid Release or tar remover. Mostly cause I didn't have any available.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieVu View Post
                        Finally pulled the trigger and man does it look so good! Remove the chrome?!

Curious to find out what is under the chrome, but not willing to try on mine.

Subscribing.

BTW - nice seat! ;D

Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                        1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                        Palm Beach County

Comment

Thanks man! Been telling people it’s so retro. The recaro basket!!

I guess I got lucky, I didn’t have any gunk to remove with goo gone? I used this window cleaner spray it all came off. Just some residue and a lot of dirty. Looks sexy now! I’ll try to remove the chrome trim(saw a video) comes off pretty easy and try to plasti dip it just to see how it would look

Comment

can you share the video? It looks like it should be easy to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by PDXPeter View Post
                              can you share the video? It looks like it should be easy to remove.

This guy made a 3 part video showing you how to remove everything. @10 shows how easy the trim comes off

Comment

Here's how mine turned out. I ended up using my heat gun and just rubbing the shit out of the glue. I imagine it would come off cleaner in a warmer climate.

I ordered some half inch edge molding to protect the now exposed interior edge.

Comment

Working...
                                X