Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I see some non-stock gauge-solutions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I see some non-stock gauge-solutions?

Hi everyone

I'm still planning my perfect E30, and with plans getting more and more specific I have to also start considering the rather minor things.
    Since my E30 is supposed to get a modern engine (most likely the S54 from the E46 M3), I'll need to modify the gauges.
    The law says that my speedometer has to extend past the car's calculated top speed, and the same goes for the rev counter.
    I know that one solution is having the scales on your stock gauges extended, another is to (somehow ) use the gauges from the donor cars, and a third is some sort of digital screen to replace all gauges.
    The German "TÜV" says I need a speedometer, a rev-counter and a fuel-gauge, the rest is optional.
    BUT: These can also be on a screen, if it's been proven that the readings are accurate.
    So I wondered, for those of you who modified/swapped out the stock gauges (and/or maybe added some additional ones) for other data, what did you guys use and how does it look (and are you happy with the solution)?

Thanks in advance,

Max

Edit:
    Maybe this is interesting for some of you too, to see other solutions/options.
    Last edited by Max S; 05-25-2018, 03:24 PM.
    E30-Fan from Germany, here to learn about and get some inspiration for my next car.

Intrigued. I'm subscribed. Let's see what pops up here....
    Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
    1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
    Palm Beach County

Comment

Check out Bavarian Restorations. Greg does amazing work!
      My Garage
      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

No-one here is running non-stock gauges, or screen, or auxiliary ones?
        Can't really believe that, but okay.

Max
        E30-Fan from Germany, here to learn about and get some inspiration for my next car.

Comment

I'm sure some people are, but they're not required in the US, so for most people stateside, it's an afterthought - for example, if I were doing such a swap in the US, I'd try to find a way to adapt the tachometer, and leave everything else stock e30. Since you have rules to follow for the speedometer, you'd have to do something a lot more custom if you wanted to go this route. A fair number of swaps simply don't have working gauges.

If you're doing a standalone ECU, most of those have a digital gauge cluster kit to go with them. If you're sticking with the stock engine management from the donor, adapting the donor's gauges seems the logical choice, unless there's some issue fitting it into the space.

Another low-budget option is a cheap android tablet and bluetooth OBDII scan tool, with Torque or similar app showing the gauges. The downside (aside from the obvious fit and finish) is it's a bit slow to react compared to factory gauges, so I'm not sure this would meet the requirements.

And, of course, you can always go 100% custom dash, like in this thread:

Comment

I made this cluster for my E30:

Comment

Working...
            X