Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggestions, then?

Originally posted by Z3Jonathan
    FWIW, Bilstiens would possibly reduce the likely hood of bottoming out, since they are a high(er) pressure shock, and more compression damping. But I don't know what spring rates you're running so the rebound damping may not be adequete, and the ride quality will probably suffer from the high-pressure design (ie, feel more of the "small stuff").
    Actually, it's pretty widely known that Bilstein Sports have less compression (bound) dampening than Koni SA's on E30s. Bilstiens combined with short springs bottom out like no other. My front spring rate is quite low, 300lb/in. I wanted some type of streetability, and I for the most part got it. The part of Toronto I live in has terrible roads, and I have to deal with them every day. The rears are still quite stiff at 475lb/in, I like the neutral feeling. Also, to aid in the front travel in my car (the rear never bottoms), I'm likely going to get a set of GC camber plates, they provide some extra space.

What you said about the reason to get coilovers is absolutely correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
      FWIW, Bilstiens would possibly reduce the likely hood of bottoming out, since they are a high(er) pressure shock, and more compression damping. But I don't know what spring rates you're running so the rebound damping may not be adequete, and the ride quality will probably suffer from the high-pressure design (ie, feel more of the "small stuff").
      Actually, it's pretty widely known that Bilstein Sports have less compression (bound) dampening than Koni SA's on E30s. Bilstiens combined with short springs bottom out like no other. My front spring rate is quite low, 300lb/in. I wanted some type of streetability, and I for the most part got it. The part of Toronto I live in has terrible roads, and I have to deal with them every day. The rears are still quite stiff at 475lb/in, I like the neutral feeling. Also, to aid in the front travel in my car (the rear never bottoms), I'm likely going to get a set of GC camber plates, they provide some extra space.

What you said about the reason to get coilovers is absolutely correct.

Everyone is always reccomending Billy Sports for softer spring applications because they (supposedly :?: ) have more compression damping than Konis, which will atleast try to help make up for a softer spring rate. Of course, I don't know how linear Bilstiens remain throughout their travel, so it is entirely possibly with short, soft springs, they will bottom out. Bilstein's monotube, high pressure design alone should add to the percieved compressive spring rate. Is shock travel on a monotube Bilstien identical to a twin tube Koni? This is another consideration, since a twin tube design theoretically offers greater travel... altho travel could be idetnical on Bilstien and Koni E30 shocks.

But compared to Eibachs and H+R Sports, 300 lb/in springs don't seem very "soft". Soft compared to the normal rates that GC reccomends though.

What they complain about is the lack of rebound damping and the inability to control stiffer springs like J-stocks (why Turner's re-vavle Billstiens are a good idea).

Comment

Everyone is always reccomending Billy Sports for softer spring applications because they (supposedly :?: ) have more compression damping than Konis, which will atleast try to help make up for a softer spring rate. Of course, I don't know how linear Bilstiens remain throughout their travel, so it is entirely possibly with short, soft springs, they will bottom out. Bilstein's monotube, high pressure design alone should add to the percieved compressive spring rate. Is shock travel on a monotube Bilstien identical to a twin tube Koni? This is another consideration, since a twin tube design theoretically offers greater travel... altho travel could be idetnical on Bilstien and Koni E30 shocks.

But compared to Eibachs and H+R Sports, 300 lb/in springs don't seem very "soft". Soft compared to the normal rates that GC reccomends though.

What they complain about is the lack of rebound damping and the inability to control stiffer springs like J-stocks (why Turner's re-vavle Billstiens are a good idea).
        The bottoming out issue is exclusive to Bilsteins, and I assumed it was due to softer compression specs, and partially because people claim distinctly softer ride characteristics with Sports. But the bottoming out could very well be due to less overall travel, and the ride quality contrast could be attributed to rebound settings.

Comment

konis are definetly stiffer than bilstiens.. but the single adjustables have much lower compression than rebound, especially when cranked up. they're also shorter than bilstiens. overall my bilstiens were MUCH softer than konis (although I only had sport rears).
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
            konis are definetly stiffer than bilstiens.. but the single adjustables have much lower compression than rebound, especially when cranked up. they're also shorter than bilstiens. overall my bilstiens were MUCH softer than konis (although I only had sport rears).
            The Bilstein Sport rears are MUCH softer than the front strut inserts.
            Originally posted by Gruelius
            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Bilsteins have very high compression, and Konis don't. Vice versa for rebound (and Konis have adjustable rebound).

Bilsteins (I'm talking about the front here) bottom out so much because they have built in bumpstops that are pretty tall and this is what limits the travel of the shock moreso than Konis. With Konis, you have to use an external bumpstop which usually you can trim to be shorter.

My personal experience with Bilsteins vs. Konis is that the car with Konis (both had identical spring rates) was much more comfortable than the car with Bilsteins - much of the reason I'm sure is that the Bilsteins were very close to their bumpstops because of the ride height the car was set at. Again, this is about the front - in the rear there is plenty of shock travel.

Comment

Working...
              X